Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Plotting over a circle....

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello everyone, I would like to ask how to plot data over a circle like cutline is used to plot data over a line while cutpoint over a point similarly how can one plot over a circle. I used trigonometric functions to form circle by using cutpoint but the graph plot is not ok...

5 Replies Last Post 2015年9月14日 GMT-4 22:01
Gunnar Andersson COMSOL Employee

Posted: 9 years ago 2015年9月14日 GMT-4 02:07
This sounds like a job for the Parametric Curve 2D data set.
This sounds like a job for the Parametric Curve 2D data set.

Posted: 9 years ago 2015年9月14日 GMT-4 02:26
Thanks for the reply Gunnar. I used the parametric curve 2D but what expressions should i write in the x and y to have a circle. I used the expression r*cos(range(0,0.01,2*pi)) and r*sin(range(0,0.01,2*pi)) for the x and y but the range function does not work it is giving the message of unknown function or operator range.....
Thankssss
Thanks for the reply Gunnar. I used the parametric curve 2D but what expressions should i write in the x and y to have a circle. I used the expression r*cos(range(0,0.01,2*pi)) and r*sin(range(0,0.01,2*pi)) for the x and y but the range function does not work it is giving the message of unknown function or operator range..... Thankssss

Gunnar Andersson COMSOL Employee

Posted: 9 years ago 2015年9月14日 GMT-4 02:31

Thanks for the reply Gunnar. I used the parametric curve 2D but what expressions should i write in the x and y to have a circle. I used the expression r*cos(range(0,0.01,2*pi)) and r*sin(range(0,0.01,2*pi)) for the x and y but the range function does not work it is giving the message of unknown function or operator range.....

The x and y fields expect expressions defined in terms of a parameter. Try the following:

Name: s
Minimum: 0
Maximum: 2*pi
x: r*cos(s)
y: r*sin(s)

[QUOTE] Thanks for the reply Gunnar. I used the parametric curve 2D but what expressions should i write in the x and y to have a circle. I used the expression r*cos(range(0,0.01,2*pi)) and r*sin(range(0,0.01,2*pi)) for the x and y but the range function does not work it is giving the message of unknown function or operator range..... [/QUOTE] The x and y fields expect expressions defined in terms of a parameter. Try the following: Name: s Minimum: 0 Maximum: 2*pi x: r*cos(s) y: r*sin(s)

Posted: 9 years ago 2015年9月14日 GMT-4 21:58
Thanks i got your point. I tried but it is giving the message
Cannot evaluate the expression
Failed to evaluate variable.
- Variable: s
- Geometry: 1
- Boundary: 1 2 4 5 7 8 9 15 53 54 67 77 79 98 99
Failed to evaluate expression.
- Expression: cos(s)
- Plot: previewplot1 (Line)
Thanks i got your point. I tried but it is giving the message Cannot evaluate the expression Failed to evaluate variable. - Variable: s - Geometry: 1 - Boundary: 1 2 4 5 7 8 9 15 53 54 67 77 79 98 99 Failed to evaluate expression. - Expression: cos(s) - Plot: previewplot1 (Line)

Posted: 9 years ago 2015年9月14日 GMT-4 22:01
thanks it worked.... thanks alot for the information....
thanks it worked.... thanks alot for the information....

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.