Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

bulk concentration

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi

I am working with a 2D axisymmetric geometry of the arterial wall. I am solving transport of diluted species (time dependent).

I would like to compute and represent the partitioning coefficient (k), defined as the tissue concentration at equilibrium normalized by the bulk concentration (k=cT/c_bulk), because I am simulating a test where the arterial wall is incubated in a drug solution at several bulk concentrations for 60 hours.

I do not understand well the concept of "bulk concentration". I know that the tissue concentration is a time dependent concentration, but is the "bulk concentration" a time dependent concentration or is it a constant value??

Thanks in advance,

Javier

1 Reply Last Post 2015年10月28日 GMT-4 06:44

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 9 years ago 2015年10月28日 GMT-4 06:44
Partition coefficient is the ratio of the equilibrium concentrations between two phases. Bulk concentration is usually considered either as the value in the bulk (i.e. sufficiently far from surfaces) of the solution or as an initial value if mass transport is emptying the volume.

Partition coefficient is not time dependent; actually it is used as the boundary condition, i.e. if the concentration in the blood stream at the artery wall is Cs, the corresponding value in the artery side is k*Cs, unless some other condition prevails, like kinetically limited flux.

Thinking of your problem, the concentration in the artery after incubation is an initial value, but the concentration will be changing throughout, and talking about bulk concentration is rather meaningless.

BR
Lasse
Partition coefficient is the ratio of the equilibrium concentrations between two phases. Bulk concentration is usually considered either as the value in the bulk (i.e. sufficiently far from surfaces) of the solution or as an initial value if mass transport is emptying the volume. Partition coefficient is not time dependent; actually it is used as the boundary condition, i.e. if the concentration in the blood stream at the artery wall is Cs, the corresponding value in the artery side is k*Cs, unless some other condition prevails, like kinetically limited flux. Thinking of your problem, the concentration in the artery after incubation is an initial value, but the concentration will be changing throughout, and talking about bulk concentration is rather meaningless. BR Lasse

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.