Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Temperature traject and minimum temperature

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I am working at a model of a cable what is warmed up. I have two problems I can't solve at this moment.

- In real the cable is warmed up in two hours from 20 degC to 200 degC, constant for two hours at 200 degC and in one hour cooled down to 100 degC. How can I make this happen in my model?

- For less heat loss it is possible to preheat the conductor. If I set up the initial value of the conductor to 80 degC the temperature flows fast away. How can I set up my model that the conductor stays at a minimum temperature of 80 degC?

Can anybody help me with these problems?

8 Replies Last Post 2015年11月3日 GMT-5 08:06

Posted: 9 years ago 2015年11月3日 GMT-5 05:14
You can define the temperature with a piecewise function, if that is what you need. How is the cable warmed up? If it is done with electric current, then heat production is

rs*I^2 (W/m^3)

where rs is the resistivity of the cable (Ohm*m) and I the current density (A/m^2). Then you will have a problem where heat production and loss are competing, resulting in a temperature profile which depends on the heat capacity of the materials and the heat transfer coefficients as well as the exterior temparature.

BR
Lasse
You can define the temperature with a piecewise function, if that is what you need. How is the cable warmed up? If it is done with electric current, then heat production is rs*I^2 (W/m^3) where rs is the resistivity of the cable (Ohm*m) and I the current density (A/m^2). Then you will have a problem where heat production and loss are competing, resulting in a temperature profile which depends on the heat capacity of the materials and the heat transfer coefficients as well as the exterior temparature. BR Lasse

Posted: 9 years ago 2015年11月3日 GMT-5 05:23
Thanks for the quick response

The cable is warmed up with a heating mat laying around the cable.

The conductor is preheated with induction. But for the conductor I though there has to be a very simple method to get a minimum temperature of 80 degC in the conductor.
Thanks for the quick response The cable is warmed up with a heating mat laying around the cable. The conductor is preheated with induction. But for the conductor I though there has to be a very simple method to get a minimum temperature of 80 degC in the conductor.

Posted: 9 years ago 2015年11月3日 GMT-5 06:35
Is the mat insulated from its environment so that no heat flux is taking place outwards?
Is the mat insulated from its environment so that no heat flux is taking place outwards?

Posted: 9 years ago 2015年11月3日 GMT-5 06:46
Yes. I simulated the mat with a piecewise and it works great. I simulated the heating mat with a Bézier polygon and selected this boundary with a temperature what is given by the piecewise.
Now I only have to create a temperature of 80 degC at the conductor. It is possible that it will get hotter due to the heating mat, but it may not get below 80 degC. The conductor is a domain and not a boundary so I can’t select the conductor with a temperature.
Yes. I simulated the mat with a piecewise and it works great. I simulated the heating mat with a Bézier polygon and selected this boundary with a temperature what is given by the piecewise. Now I only have to create a temperature of 80 degC at the conductor. It is possible that it will get hotter due to the heating mat, but it may not get below 80 degC. The conductor is a domain and not a boundary so I can’t select the conductor with a temperature.

Posted: 9 years ago 2015年11月3日 GMT-5 06:50
But if the conductor is, say, copper its temperature is practically throughout the same as its surface concentration next to the mat.
But if the conductor is, say, copper its temperature is practically throughout the same as its surface concentration next to the mat.

Posted: 9 years ago 2015年11月3日 GMT-5 07:16
Let's say I have a cable of 10 meter. I put heating mats on 1 m of the cable( in the middle). the heat is going through(if insulated to the outside) the insulation to the conductor (copper indeed). The problem here is that a lot of heat is transported along de cpper, because the meters that are not heated up are at a temperature of, say, 20 degC. If I manage to have the conductor in the whole cable at a minimum temperature of 80 degC, then there will flow less heat away from the heating mat.

This is my idea of course. I am not sure that this is physically right.
Let's say I have a cable of 10 meter. I put heating mats on 1 m of the cable( in the middle). the heat is going through(if insulated to the outside) the insulation to the conductor (copper indeed). The problem here is that a lot of heat is transported along de cpper, because the meters that are not heated up are at a temperature of, say, 20 degC. If I manage to have the conductor in the whole cable at a minimum temperature of 80 degC, then there will flow less heat away from the heating mat. This is my idea of course. I am not sure that this is physically right.

Posted: 9 years ago 2015年11月3日 GMT-5 07:31
Maybe important to say: I want the heat as much as possible in the insulation of the cable
Maybe important to say: I want the heat as much as possible in the insulation of the cable

Posted: 9 years ago 2015年11月3日 GMT-5 08:06
Attached a very simple model.

BR
Lasse
Attached a very simple model. BR Lasse

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.