Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Incompressiblity in Fluid Flow

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am trying to model the flow in a tube where on either side of the tube there is a sinusoidal pressure being applied and in the middle on the side of the tube there is an outlet where the pressure is zero.
I need the fluid to be incompressible. However, when looking at the flows out of the model (surface integration at inlet/outlets with the magnitude of velocity) there is not a net-zero flow. Is this a common problem? Is there anyway I can correct this and make the fluid completely incompressible?

Thanks for any help!!

4 Replies Last Post 2015年11月20日 GMT-5 16:48

Posted: 9 years ago 2015年11月16日 GMT-5 02:08
Maybe this is stupid: Have you chosen "Imcompressible Fluid" from the menu?

Differences in the outflow and inflow are probably due to inaccuracies. Meshing has a large effect on that.

BR
Lasse
Maybe this is stupid: Have you chosen "Imcompressible Fluid" from the menu? Differences in the outflow and inflow are probably due to inaccuracies. Meshing has a large effect on that. BR Lasse

Posted: 9 years ago 2015年11月16日 GMT-5 12:05
Thanks for the advice. I do have incompressible flow selected. Increasing the mesh size to finer (the highest my memory constraints will allow) did not improve the flow difference either. Any other suggestions such as tolerance or time stepping settings to minimize inaccuracies?
Thanks for the advice. I do have incompressible flow selected. Increasing the mesh size to finer (the highest my memory constraints will allow) did not improve the flow difference either. Any other suggestions such as tolerance or time stepping settings to minimize inaccuracies?

Posted: 9 years ago 2015年11月17日 GMT-5 03:28
I can't offer much help, but can confirm that it is a common problem (in my experience). I've had some help requests lodged with COMSOL support. Some of the advices have been:
- finer or better mesh (does seem to help - can you segregate the mesh to give you more detail where you eed it most?)
- integrating over inlet or outlet planes can be inacurate especially for curved wall geometries. Also something about a mesh distortion at a sudden expansion, meaning they suggested integrating over a cut plane a little back from the tube end.
- One suggestion I haven't tried (as it sounds like treating the symptom not the disease) was something about using the integrated flow rates to update the solution.
- I have read that the default tolerances can be rather coarse, so have you tried lowering the tolerance in the solver?
- Where I was struggling with mass balances with high velocities over small areas it helped to add an expansion chamber, and integrate a lower velocity over a larger area.
- Some problems (mostly with convergence issues) were helped with a parametric sweep or a step function to ramp up variables. But your pressure is sinusoidal - could you force it to start from the midvalue?
I can't offer much help, but can confirm that it is a common problem (in my experience). I've had some help requests lodged with COMSOL support. Some of the advices have been: - finer or better mesh (does seem to help - can you segregate the mesh to give you more detail where you eed it most?) - integrating over inlet or outlet planes can be inacurate especially for curved wall geometries. Also something about a mesh distortion at a sudden expansion, meaning they suggested integrating over a cut plane a little back from the tube end. - One suggestion I haven't tried (as it sounds like treating the symptom not the disease) was something about using the integrated flow rates to update the solution. - I have read that the default tolerances can be rather coarse, so have you tried lowering the tolerance in the solver? - Where I was struggling with mass balances with high velocities over small areas it helped to add an expansion chamber, and integrate a lower velocity over a larger area. - Some problems (mostly with convergence issues) were helped with a parametric sweep or a step function to ramp up variables. But your pressure is sinusoidal - could you force it to start from the midvalue?

Posted: 9 years ago 2015年11月20日 GMT-5 16:48
Thanks so much Ross! I was able to solve the problem by not integrating over curved surfaces and a little in from the tube outlets while increasing tolerances.
Thanks so much Ross! I was able to solve the problem by not integrating over curved surfaces and a little in from the tube outlets while increasing tolerances.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.