Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Electromagnetic Field in a wire loop

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi dear all,
I am a new user of COMSOL. I am trying to develop a simulation for magnetic field in a wire loop as a result of current passing through it. I defined a geometry with 0.01 mm radius of wire. I added "copper" as a material in all domains. Then I added two types of physics from AC/DC module:
1. Electric Currents with a potential of 20 V applied to one end of wire and Ground on other end.
2. Magnetic Fields (and Magnetic Field Formulation alternatively)
I added "stationery" study. Now when I compute the solution for the study, I get a simulation showing Magnetic Flux Density Norm (mef), same thing in results section. My problem is that I want to see magnetic field lines in and around the wire. I would highly appreciate any type of help in this context. I have attached my file.
~Hasan

3 Replies Last Post 2015年11月16日 GMT-5 10:32

Posted: 9 years ago 2015年11月16日 GMT-5 03:53
Hi

Have you already looked at this model?
www.comsol.com/model/electromagnetic-forces-on-parallel-current-carrying-wires-131

You can also find it in the application libraries (file>application libraries> “search: parallel wires”)

It’s in 2D but you can base your 3D model on this model.
To see magnetic field lines, run the simulation then right click on “Magnetic Flux Density Norm” in the results section and add “streamline”
Then you have to add some boundaries to the selection section of the streamline settings.

Dara
Hi Have you already looked at this model? http://www.comsol.com/model/electromagnetic-forces-on-parallel-current-carrying-wires-131 You can also find it in the application libraries (file>application libraries> “search: parallel wires”) It’s in 2D but you can base your 3D model on this model. To see magnetic field lines, run the simulation then right click on “Magnetic Flux Density Norm” in the results section and add “streamline” Then you have to add some boundaries to the selection section of the streamline settings. Dara

Posted: 9 years ago 2015年11月16日 GMT-5 09:17
Just use the mf interface with a 2D Axisymmetric model, then create a contour plot with the expression "Aphi*r" as shown in the attached model. Note that the attached is for a Helmholtz coil, so you could just modify this model to suit your needs. I have used infinite elements in this model too, for a more accurate far field representation. it is a version 5.1 model, hopefully will be a good starting point for you.
Just use the mf interface with a 2D Axisymmetric model, then create a contour plot with the expression "Aphi*r" as shown in the attached model. Note that the attached is for a Helmholtz coil, so you could just modify this model to suit your needs. I have used infinite elements in this model too, for a more accurate far field representation. it is a version 5.1 model, hopefully will be a good starting point for you.

Posted: 9 years ago 2015年11月16日 GMT-5 10:32
Thanks alot Dara and MortalWombat :)
Thanks alot Dara and MortalWombat :)

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.