Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

2D loading of a rectangle; artefacts?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I am trying to do a very simple simulation of a 2D rectangle loaded by two blocks glued to the bottom of the rectangle, moving apart from each other. The attached picture is worth 1000 words. The two bottom lateral segments are being pulled apart horizontally. The middle section and the side vertical borders are free.

Why do I get that downward bulging in the middle? I suspect an artefact due to the load concentration at the interface between the "glued" and free borders. Any ideas on how I could get rid of it?

I am doing a stationary study with structural mechanics only, plane stress. I checked the large deformation option, and am applying the load in small steps.

Thanks in advance!
Claudio

2 Replies Last Post 2016年1月4日 GMT-5 07:00
Nagi Elabbasi Facebook Reality Labs

Posted: 9 years ago 2015年12月28日 GMT-5 09:06
Dear Claudio,

The loads applied at the glued bottom of the rectangle cause a moment about the out-of-plane axis that tries to bend the block and create the deformation that you see. Note also that the material is experiencing large strains that are not accurately captured with an elastic material model even with the large deformation option. You need a material model that can handle large strains such as hyperelastic or elastic-plastic.

Nagi Elabbasi
Veryst Engineering
Dear Claudio, The loads applied at the glued bottom of the rectangle cause a moment about the out-of-plane axis that tries to bend the block and create the deformation that you see. Note also that the material is experiencing large strains that are not accurately captured with an elastic material model even with the large deformation option. You need a material model that can handle large strains such as hyperelastic or elastic-plastic. Nagi Elabbasi Veryst Engineering

Posted: 9 years ago 2016年1月4日 GMT-5 07:00
Dear Nagi,

Thank you very much for your answer. I am aware that an hyperelastic material will improve the simulation accuracy; I plan on introducing a Mooney-Rivlin material model later on.
However, this will not solve the downward bulging of the free part of the block. Any ideas on how to correct this behaviour?

Best wishes, and happy new year!
Claudio
Dear Nagi, Thank you very much for your answer. I am aware that an hyperelastic material will improve the simulation accuracy; I plan on introducing a Mooney-Rivlin material model later on. However, this will not solve the downward bulging of the free part of the block. Any ideas on how to correct this behaviour? Best wishes, and happy new year! Claudio

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.