Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How to use the ramp function to avoid "inconsistent initial values"?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

So, I'm using heat transfer and laminar flow to simulate convection. Everything works fine if initial values in the laminar flow module are set zero and there's only movement due to convection. However, if I want to include some general movement of air, I'll get the error message "failed to find consistent initial values. last time step not converged".

I was told that it is because the velocity from laminar flow comes too sharply and produces a change too big in the time domain and solver can't take sufficiently small steps quickly enough. I was told to use the ramp function so that it would take some time for velocity to change from 0 to some v_0. If I have this ramp function, I can write v_0*rm1(t) as the initial value of velocity.

Well that is clear enough, but I just don't get this ramp function. I can only set location, slope and cut-off. Where should v_0 come in and where can I define the time during which velocity changes from 0 to this v_0?

0 Replies Last Post 2016年1月7日 GMT-5 14:16
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Heido Trofimov

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.