Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

What are Necessary Boundary Constraints? and Visualizing Force Vectors

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Two questions:

1. Are constraints necessary? I have a square frame in 3D space, and I want to pinch two opposite corners together. There doesn't seem to be a need for any boundaries to be 'constrained,' yet if I don't constrain anything I get the error that the "relative residual is greater than the relative tolerance". What is going on here?

2. Is there any way to visualize loads as vectors?

Regards,

Maddy

1 Reply Last Post 2016年2月8日 GMT-5 14:02
Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 8 years ago 2016年2月8日 GMT-5 14:02
Hello Maddy,

1/ See www.comsol.com/community/forums/general/thread/95201/

2/ There is a tool in pre-processing that can show symbols where constraints and loads are applied, but these symbols do not indicate the direction or magnitude of loads, only their presence: File > Preferences > Graphics and Plot Windows > Show Physics Symbols To show the direction and magnitude of loads, you can use the arrow plot post-processing tools.

Best,
Jeff
Hello Maddy, 1/ See http://www.comsol.com/community/forums/general/thread/95201/ 2/ There is a tool in pre-processing that can show symbols where constraints and loads are applied, but these symbols do not indicate the direction or magnitude of loads, only their presence: File > Preferences > Graphics and Plot Windows > Show Physics Symbols To show the direction and magnitude of loads, you can use the arrow plot post-processing tools. Best, Jeff

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.