Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Gas stratification model

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi everyone,

I recently started using COMSOL, and I am having a lot of problems with a model that, in theory, should be extremely easy.

I need to model the stratification of a mixture of oxygen and helium in a closed vessel, due to gravity.

I used a Laminar Flow physic (to use a Volume Force, dependent on local density), and a Transport of Concentrated species, to get a value for the density. Boundary conditions are pretty easy - walls and no flux everywhere. Since I am interested in a proof of concept for stratification, I set the diffusion coefficient to 0 (once the model works, I will modify that, of course). I used a linear function of the height of the vessel as initial condition for the mass fraction of oxygen, so I have a different effect of gravity from the start.

With this model, I incur in the following error:

Failed to find consistent initial values.
Last time step is not converged.
- Feature: Time-Dependent Solver 1 (sol1/t1)

I even tried to switch the transport of concentrated species to the transprt of diluted species, using a variable tied to the concentration to account for the density difference . Same identical error.

I really have no idea how to solve this problem, any help will be greatly appreciated.

0 Replies Last Post 2016年3月7日 GMT-5 12:17
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Nicola Zanetti

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.