Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Patch antenna with a coat of Microwave absorber

Karthik Vathool Jambunatha Ramani

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,
I am studying the improvement in absorption of radiation by microstrip patch antenna, which is coated with a layer of microwave absorber that I am going to develop.

How can I define the physics for this absorber?

Thanks in advance,

Best,
Karthik

1 Reply Last Post 2016年4月28日 GMT-4 22:50
Robert Koslover Certified Consultant

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 8 years ago 2016年4月28日 GMT-4 22:50
The only way I know of to do this right is to model the absorbing material as a true material with a non-zero thickness. In other words, model the absorbing material as a physical region within the volume of your problem, assign that volume the proper dielectric constant and conductivity, and mesh it finely enough to not miss the details. The biggest challenge here is probably figuring out what values to use for epsr and sigma. Those properties will depend on the chemistry and fabrication of your absorbing material. Good luck.
The only way I know of to do this right is to model the absorbing material as a true material with a non-zero thickness. In other words, model the absorbing material as a physical region within the volume of your problem, assign that volume the proper dielectric constant and conductivity, and mesh it finely enough to not miss the details. The biggest challenge here is probably figuring out what values to use for epsr and sigma. Those properties will depend on the chemistry and fabrication of your absorbing material. Good luck.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.