Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

modeling air gap in switched reluctance machine

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi there,
I am doing a project on the above machine. I came across a paper saying that 'narrow airgap between stator and rotor poles results in a large gradient of the number of elements, when moving away from the airgap'.
I am wondering how can i make a dual ring in the air gap where one ring is modelled as fixed air and the other as rotating airgap? Is it possible to do so in COMSOL?

At the moment I just define the air gap as 1 subdomain.

Thank you in advance for any advices or feedbacks.

Cheers

1 Reply Last Post 2010年11月20日 GMT-5 08:13
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 2010年11月20日 GMT-5 08:13
Hi

It is rather important to have many mesh elements where the gradients are large, you can use the mesh "Resolution of narrow regions" variable in the meshing user settings to force COMSOL to use more than 1 mesh element for such "thin" airgaps. Ideally I would say you should have 5-10 elements but this might get your model mesh to explode

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi It is rather important to have many mesh elements where the gradients are large, you can use the mesh "Resolution of narrow regions" variable in the meshing user settings to force COMSOL to use more than 1 mesh element for such "thin" airgaps. Ideally I would say you should have 5-10 elements but this might get your model mesh to explode -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.