Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Heat Transport / Expansion of solid in liquid

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello all,

I have a problem to analyze the expansion and heat transport in fluid and solid.
There is a probe made of polycarbonate. Inside the probe there is a coil made of copper.
The coil is heating the outside probe with a power of 5 W. I want to know what the expansion of the coil and the polycarbonate is as effect of the heating in the coil.
The probe is surrounded by 1 dm^3 of water (liquid). There is assumed that the water keeps the same temperature.

I made a model in comsol. but it is giving an error: Undefined value found.
- Detail: Undefined value found in the stiffness matrix.
There are 20872 equations giving NaN/Inf in the matrix rows for the variable comp1.solid.pw.

I also have a couple of questions.

The heat conductivity h (W/m^2K) is asked. but I only know the heat conductivity k (W/mK) Does somebody know how to transform these coefficients?
Maybe there is a problem with E, mu and alpha (1/K) of the Water. Comsol asked it, while there is none for liquid (I think so).

Every little help will be apreciated a lot!
Because of the amount of mb's I could not upload on this forum. I uploaded it on another website:

www.filedropper.com/ems30

0 Replies Last Post 2016年6月24日 GMT-4 10:53
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Max Zuidhoek

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.