Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

impeller rotation in 2D

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hii,

I am trying to run a simple simulation that models an impeller's rotation in 2D using Rotating Machinery module. But it fails and gives error.

Fearture: Time dependent solver1
error: Failed to find consistent initial values

The model is attached here. Can someone help me out

4 Replies Last Post 2010年12月1日 GMT-5 05:11
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2010年12月1日 GMT-5 04:20
Hi

when I loaded the model the Flow continuity was not "on", you need to select the identity pair to get the boundary ID's filling the selection list

Then if I add an initial pressure of 1[atm] it solves for 1 step, but I also I needed to delete and reset the model (but I'm in 4.1 could be some compatibility issues)

I got somewhat further by adding some initial rotating flow, but as I'm not a CFD expert I'm not the quickest to find the "evident" flaw of these issues;)

Have you tried to add a smoother turn on of the rotation (adding a step function) this often helps for starting a system

And if leaving the initial pressure to "0", you could add one point with an absolute pressure value to fix "p"
--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi when I loaded the model the Flow continuity was not "on", you need to select the identity pair to get the boundary ID's filling the selection list Then if I add an initial pressure of 1[atm] it solves for 1 step, but I also I needed to delete and reset the model (but I'm in 4.1 could be some compatibility issues) I got somewhat further by adding some initial rotating flow, but as I'm not a CFD expert I'm not the quickest to find the "evident" flaw of these issues;) Have you tried to add a smoother turn on of the rotation (adding a step function) this often helps for starting a system And if leaving the initial pressure to "0", you could add one point with an absolute pressure value to fix "p" -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 2010年12月1日 GMT-5 04:49
I fixed the flow continuity and have tried after changing the pressure value in initial conditions but it didn't help. The advice of step function...I have not checked yet ..actually I don't know how and (where from) I can add that.
I fixed the flow continuity and have tried after changing the pressure value in initial conditions but it didn't help. The advice of step function...I have not checked yet ..actually I don't know how and (where from) I can add that.

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2010年12月1日 GMT-5 05:00
Hi

try adding 1) a point on a corner with a 0 pascal pressure just to have a fixed point

then add a step function in the definitions sub-node and multiply your rotation speed by this time dependent step function. this makes the system at rest at t=0 and then ramping up the speed smoothly, you might need to play a little with the step time, try to plot the function

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi try adding 1) a point on a corner with a 0 pascal pressure just to have a fixed point then add a step function in the definitions sub-node and multiply your rotation speed by this time dependent step function. this makes the system at rest at t=0 and then ramping up the speed smoothly, you might need to play a little with the step time, try to plot the function -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 2010年12月1日 GMT-5 05:11
ahaa... Yes it works with fixing a pressure point. Thank You. The step is still not used. But I will try the step function as well to learn it
ahaa... Yes it works with fixing a pressure point. Thank You. The step is still not used. But I will try the step function as well to learn it

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.