Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

RE: Magnet Motion Simulation

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,
I'm trying to simulate the motion of a permanent neodymium magnet under the influence of another magnet kept right above it and moving along some fixed axis. The material between the magnets is a plastic sheet and extends infinitely long. The magnets are on either side of the sheet (rigid sheet) on top of each other. Ive modeled the magnets correctly but couldn't simulate the motion. I tried parametric where i only see the effect of one magnet moving, but the other magnet is assumed to be fixed, but i want to simulate the effect where both of them move under motion of either of the magnets in the respective plane parallel to the plastic sheet. How do i set up physics for this? Should i involve anything other than just magnets? Im presently working on AC/DC Module, No currents.
Thanks in advance

6 Replies Last Post 2016年7月6日 GMT-4 13:52
Nirmal Paudel COMSOL Employee

Posted: 8 years ago 2016年7月2日 GMT-4 18:28
Hi,

We do recommend to follow the approach used in this example.
www.comsol.com/model/voltage-induced-in-a-coil-by-a-moving-magnet-14163

In addition, the following blog posts might be useful to model the moving magnet.
www.comsol.com/blogs/part-1-how-to-model-a-linear-electromagnetic-plunger/

www.comsol.com/blogs/deformed-mesh-interfaces-rotations-and-linear-translations/
www.comsol.com/blogs/model-translational-motion-with-the-deformed-mesh-interfaces/

Best Regards,
Nirmal Paudel

Hi, We do recommend to follow the approach used in this example. https://www.comsol.com/model/voltage-induced-in-a-coil-by-a-moving-magnet-14163 In addition, the following blog posts might be useful to model the moving magnet. https://www.comsol.com/blogs/part-1-how-to-model-a-linear-electromagnetic-plunger/ https://www.comsol.com/blogs/deformed-mesh-interfaces-rotations-and-linear-translations/ https://www.comsol.com/blogs/model-translational-motion-with-the-deformed-mesh-interfaces/ Best Regards, Nirmal Paudel

Posted: 8 years ago 2016年7月5日 GMT-4 09:30
I'm trying to simulate movement of a single magnet in an air domain by using deformable mesh. But the magnet's mesh is not being translated linearly. It returns a warning, saying "Inverted Mesh element" or sometimes returns error, "Relative error greater than tolerance". I defined the mesh displacements similar to the ones given in the moving magnet example. Here I attach the image of the result after magnet being translated. The magnet is not being maintained as a single rectangle its sides are warping.
I'm trying to simulate movement of a single magnet in an air domain by using deformable mesh. But the magnet's mesh is not being translated linearly. It returns a warning, saying "Inverted Mesh element" or sometimes returns error, "Relative error greater than tolerance". I defined the mesh displacements similar to the ones given in the moving magnet example. Here I attach the image of the result after magnet being translated. The magnet is not being maintained as a single rectangle its sides are warping.

Posted: 8 years ago 2016年7月5日 GMT-4 10:21
Simply increase the fineness of the mesh. If you put a chamfer or a rounded 0.5 mm for example, and your mesh is 1mm, then you have an error message.
Simply increase the fineness of the mesh. If you put a chamfer or a rounded 0.5 mm for example, and your mesh is 1mm, then you have an error message.

Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 8 years ago 2016年7月5日 GMT-4 10:43
Hello Akhil,
This blog explains how to set up a moving mesh interface to permit large translations:
www.comsol.com/blogs/deformed-mesh-interfaces-rotations-and-linear-translations/
Best regards,
Jeff
Hello Akhil, This blog explains how to set up a moving mesh interface to permit large translations: https://www.comsol.com/blogs/deformed-mesh-interfaces-rotations-and-linear-translations/ Best regards, Jeff

Posted: 8 years ago 2016年7月6日 GMT-4 09:14
Thank you for the post. But I'm still facing the same problem, can you please elaborate on the meshing method. I tried meshing as said by using form assembly and identity pairs, also tried a very fine mesh. I am trying to simulate a square magnets motion in a rectangular air domain. The edges of the mesh outside the magnet seem not to move. But the ones attached to the magnet are pulled with it, making it deform very much and is causing an inverted mesh error.
Thank you for the post. But I'm still facing the same problem, can you please elaborate on the meshing method. I tried meshing as said by using form assembly and identity pairs, also tried a very fine mesh. I am trying to simulate a square magnets motion in a rectangular air domain. The edges of the mesh outside the magnet seem not to move. But the ones attached to the magnet are pulled with it, making it deform very much and is causing an inverted mesh error.

Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 8 years ago 2016年7月6日 GMT-4 13:52
I would recommend you contact COMSOL's support team: www.comsol.com/support/ .
Best regards,
Jeff
I would recommend you contact COMSOL's support team: www.comsol.com/support/ . Best regards, Jeff

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.