Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

TE and TM Port excitation

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear all,

I set up a simulation for a plane-wave incident on an interface (see e.g. first part of "Scattering on a Substrate" COMSOL tutorial).

I would like to have an input E field on the port with is mixture of TE and TM polarizations. I was trying to define the case with xz as incidence plane and plane wave propagating toward -z direction. I set k=(k*sin(theta),0,-k*cos(theta)) with theta the angle of incidence and on the ports I set all three components of E (Ex,Ey,Ez) as
Ex=sin(theta)*cos(phi)*exp(-i*k*x)
Ey=sin(phi)*exp(-i*k*x)
Ez=cos(theta)*cos(phi)*exp(-i*k*x)
where phi is the angle of E vector with the xz-plane.

It looks that there is a problem when I define a E field vector with a normal component to the port because I so not obtain the analytical results. Did any of you encountered this problem?
Thank you

Luca

0 Replies Last Post 2016年7月7日 GMT-4 10:00
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Luca Carletti

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.