Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Import of temperature data into COMSOL

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear all,

I need to import the temperature for every element from another simulation into COMSOL 5.2. The other software (SigmaSoft) allows to export the calculated temperature information as .txt (see small extract below) or .inp format.

Now I don't know how to feed COMSOL with one of these files.

What would be the best solution to transfer the temperature data into COMSOL? The only way I found sofar is the interpolation function.
How do I need to format the file so that COMSOL is able to handle it? So far I only managed to get a .txt file which is structured in the way you can see in the extract below.

I hope there is anyone who can help! Thanks alot!

Best regards,
Maximilian

Small extract out of the generated .txt file:

** Project Y:/Simulation/Sigmasoft/20x20x2/NewProject/v01
** Temperature_000482 per=100 t= 0.2300 cyc=1
** FEM-Input file: Y:/Simulation/Comsol/20x20x2/2mm_mfnc.Bz.inp, user search radius: 1.00 mm
PART-1-2.1, 5.4066E+002
PART-1-2.2, 5.4092E+002
PART-1-2.3, 5.4071E+002
PART-1-2.4, 5.4076E+002
PART-1-2.5, 5.4051E+002
PART-1-2.6, 5.4066E+002
PART-1-2.7, 5.4053E+002
PART-1-2.8, 5.4049E+002
PART-1-2.9, 5.4059E+002

2 Replies Last Post 2016年8月4日 GMT-4 12:16

Posted: 8 years ago 2016年7月28日 GMT-4 17:20
Create csv/txt file with columns x, y , y and T values.
Create the interpolation function reading from file in model node. Check the argument values from spatial coordinates. In initial values or boundary or domain temperature, type the function name. There will no need to pass the arguments.
Create csv/txt file with columns x, y , y and T values. Create the interpolation function reading from file in model node. Check the argument values from spatial coordinates. In initial values or boundary or domain temperature, type the function name. There will no need to pass the arguments.

Posted: 8 years ago 2016年8月4日 GMT-4 12:16
Thank you very much! I tried what you suggested, but I can't get where I want to. When I plot the temperature COMSOL shows a block with the interpolated temperature (screenshots in the attachment). Somehow I'm not able to plot the temperature only at the part section.

What I did so far:

- Create the part in COMSOL
- Mesh part
- Export mesh to another Software
- Mapping of the temperature results onto the mesh
- create .txt-File with x,y,z,T Data
- Import .txt-file via Interpolation

I expected that COMSOL only plots the temperature inside the part, based on the coordinates it is getting from the mesh/Excel-File.

I would be greate if you or someone else could help me with this!

Thanks...
Thank you very much! I tried what you suggested, but I can't get where I want to. When I plot the temperature COMSOL shows a block with the interpolated temperature (screenshots in the attachment). Somehow I'm not able to plot the temperature only at the part section. What I did so far: - Create the part in COMSOL - Mesh part - Export mesh to another Software - Mapping of the temperature results onto the mesh - create .txt-File with x,y,z,T Data - Import .txt-file via Interpolation I expected that COMSOL only plots the temperature inside the part, based on the coordinates it is getting from the mesh/Excel-File. I would be greate if you or someone else could help me with this! Thanks...

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.