Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Does Stationary study calculate the parameters associated with time?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all,

I simulate a heat source, which is time dependent,100an1(t), I want to know if I can use Stationary study to simulate the steady temperature?

Thank you

3 Replies Last Post 2016年9月7日 GMT-4 10:11
Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Posted: 8 years ago 2016年9月2日 GMT-4 01:36
Hi,

If you define 't' as a parameter with a certain value under Parameters, you can solve a stationary problem where there are formal time dependencies.

This technique can also be used for solving a transient thermal-structural one-way coupled problem:

1. First solve the transient heat transfer problem.
2. With an auxiliary sweep over the parameter 't', solve a set of stationary structural mechanics problems.

Such an approach is far more effective than solving for both physics interfaces within the transient time stepping.

Regards,
Henrik
Hi, If you define 't' as a parameter with a certain value under Parameters, you can solve a stationary problem where there are formal time dependencies. This technique can also be used for solving a transient thermal-structural one-way coupled problem: 1. First solve the transient heat transfer problem. 2. With an auxiliary sweep over the parameter 't', solve a set of stationary structural mechanics problems. Such an approach is far more effective than solving for both physics interfaces within the transient time stepping. Regards, Henrik

Posted: 8 years ago 2016年9月6日 GMT-4 12:14
Hi Henrik,

I appreciate your help, however, I am not sure if I have a correct understanding with your suggestion, and the results of "temperature distribution"seems weird. Could you please help me check the model attached, Thanks!

regards
Judy!

Hi Henrik, I appreciate your help, however, I am not sure if I have a correct understanding with your suggestion, and the results of "temperature distribution"seems weird. Could you please help me check the model attached, Thanks! regards Judy!

Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Posted: 8 years ago 2016年9月7日 GMT-4 10:11
Hi Judy,

If you need more detailed help with your model, please contact support. Or maybe some other user will have some time to look into the details of it here.

Generally speaking however:

If you run a stationary study with 't' set to a fixed value t0, you get the solution to a situation where all loads (and other dependencies of the type f(t)) have had the fixed value given by f(t0) for a very long time.

Regards,
Henrik
Hi Judy, If you need more detailed help with your model, please contact support. Or maybe some other user will have some time to look into the details of it here. Generally speaking however: If you run a stationary study with 't' set to a fixed value t0, you get the solution to a situation where all loads (and other dependencies of the type f(t)) have had the fixed value given by f(t0) for a very long time. Regards, Henrik

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.