Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Why is thermal expansion not happening along +Y and +Z direction?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I am trying to do a test simulation where a 3D bar is heated all around and expanded according to the thermal expansion coefficient. In the attached file, I have applied roller BC on the -X, -Y and -Z faces of the bar. I expected that the expansion would happen in the +X, +Y and +Z directions. But this only happens in the +X direction. But if I prescribe a roller BC on the +X face also, I see that expansion happens in both +Y and +Z faces. I set the Poisson's ratio as 0.0. Is my expectation wrong?

Thank you,
Stephen Thomas.

1 Reply Last Post 2016年11月8日 GMT-5 18:49

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 8 years ago 2016年11月8日 GMT-5 18:49
Hi,

Sorry, I just realized that my dimensions along the Y and Z directions are only 1/10 Th of the X direction and that's why it seems like it is not expanding.

Thank you,
Stephen Thomas.
Hi, Sorry, I just realized that my dimensions along the Y and Z directions are only 1/10 Th of the X direction and that's why it seems like it is not expanding. Thank you, Stephen Thomas.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.