Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Unit of permeability

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello

I am using the module 'Reacting flow in porous media', in which I have to give the permeability data of porous material. COMSOL is showing m^2 unit for the permeability of porous material and I have the data in mol m-1 s-1 Pa-1 unit. Please suggest me that how to convert this into m^2 unit?

Thank you
With regards

Prasoon Awasthi

5 Replies Last Post 2017年1月2日 GMT-5 14:31
Michael Rembe Certified Consultant

Posted: 8 years ago 2017年1月2日 GMT-5 09:06
Hey,

I wish you a happy new year!

Are you sure that your given quantity is a hydraulic permeability?

permeability [m^2], older [Darcy]
hydraulic conductivity [m/s]

Best regards
Michael
Hey, I wish you a happy new year! Are you sure that your given quantity is a hydraulic permeability? permeability [m^2], older [Darcy] hydraulic conductivity [m/s] Best regards Michael

Posted: 8 years ago 2017年1月2日 GMT-5 12:42
Hello

Happy New Year and have a great year ahead. Thank you for coming forward to help me.
Please look at these websites:
1.) en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Permeability_(earth_sciences)
2.) www.separationprocesses.com/Membrane/MT_Chp03b2.htm

In the first website, unit is m^2, but in 2nd one, it is something else. I don't know the difference between both of the units. 1st one can be converted into darcy unit and 2nd one can be converted into barrer unit also.

I am using COMOL 4.4 version, in which I selected the reacting flow in porous media module under chemical species transport section and I used a node porous matrix properties. For this, I have to give the permeability value and it is showing the unit m^2 only, not m/sec.

Please guide me.
With warm regards
Prasoon
Hello Happy New Year and have a great year ahead. Thank you for coming forward to help me. Please look at these websites: 1.) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Permeability_(earth_sciences) 2.) http://www.separationprocesses.com/Membrane/MT_Chp03b2.htm In the first website, unit is m^2, but in 2nd one, it is something else. I don't know the difference between both of the units. 1st one can be converted into darcy unit and 2nd one can be converted into barrer unit also. I am using COMOL 4.4 version, in which I selected the reacting flow in porous media module under chemical species transport section and I used a node porous matrix properties. For this, I have to give the permeability value and it is showing the unit m^2 only, not m/sec. Please guide me. With warm regards Prasoon

Posted: 8 years ago 2017年1月2日 GMT-5 12:43
The first link: (in previous message, it was not properly sent.)

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Permeability_(earth_sciences)
The first link: (in previous message, it was not properly sent.) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Permeability_(earth_sciences)

Michael Rembe Certified Consultant

Posted: 8 years ago 2017年1月2日 GMT-5 14:23
Dear Prasoon,

it seems we speek about two different physics. The permeability [m^2] belongs to the Darcy Law. It takes a flux through a porous media caused by a pressure gradient into account.

The permeability coefficient of the permeation flux of a membrane, I think, belongs to another but similar physical law. This is what you have to find out.

Best regards
Michael
Dear Prasoon, it seems we speek about two different physics. The permeability [m^2] belongs to the Darcy Law. It takes a flux through a porous media caused by a pressure gradient into account. The permeability coefficient of the permeation flux of a membrane, I think, belongs to another but similar physical law. This is what you have to find out. Best regards Michael

Posted: 8 years ago 2017年1月2日 GMT-5 14:31
Dear Michael

Thank you for your suggestion. I am trying to find out. If you get it, please let me know.

With warm regards
Prasoon
Dear Michael Thank you for your suggestion. I am trying to find out. If you get it, please let me know. With warm regards Prasoon

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.