Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Import a parasolid file from solid works

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi.
I would like to know if it is possible to import a parasolid file from SolidWorks to COMSOL. What are the steps? and how can I mesh a imported file?
Regards and thanks in advance

9 Replies Last Post 2011年2月9日 GMT-5 08:07
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2011年2月7日 GMT-5 10:57
Hello

COMSOL reads directly parasolid files, it's "just" to import the CAD

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hello COMSOL reads directly parasolid files, it's "just" to import the CAD -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 2011年2月8日 GMT-5 07:35
Hi again.
I'll try to explain a little bit my problem this time.
I'm using a .stl file and trying to import it to a 3.5a COMSOL version. It spends a lot of time to import it and once it has finished a warning appears. The figure is a group of lines, is not a solid anymore.
Do you have any idea?
Regards,
Hi again. I'll try to explain a little bit my problem this time. I'm using a .stl file and trying to import it to a 3.5a COMSOL version. It spends a lot of time to import it and once it has finished a warning appears. The figure is a group of lines, is not a solid anymore. Do you have any idea? Regards,

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2011年2月8日 GMT-5 10:44
Hi

well "stl" is no full 3D grpahics file format, it's a pseudi 2D layer format used for 3D printing, I'm not sure 3.5a has a translator, this requires that your volume is recomposed, a tedious task. But if you can make a STL file mostly you can also make a true 3D .X_T file and that is far easier to use in COMSOL (also 3.5 ;)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi well "stl" is no full 3D grpahics file format, it's a pseudi 2D layer format used for 3D printing, I'm not sure 3.5a has a translator, this requires that your volume is recomposed, a tedious task. But if you can make a STL file mostly you can also make a true 3D .X_T file and that is far easier to use in COMSOL (also 3.5 ;) -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 2011年2月8日 GMT-5 10:51
Yes it's true.
I've tried with a simplest structure and a .X_T format and I finally meshed my problem.
However when I refine my structure (I add more faces to get an approach to a cylinder) in solidworks I have problems to mesh the structure once it has been imported.
I hope you guide me with this problem.
Regards
Yes it's true. I've tried with a simplest structure and a .X_T format and I finally meshed my problem. However when I refine my structure (I add more faces to get an approach to a cylinder) in solidworks I have problems to mesh the structure once it has been imported. I hope you guide me with this problem. Regards

Posted: 1 decade ago 2011年2月8日 GMT-5 14:51
Hi

then why not use cylinders, these are geometrical shapes known to COMSOL.

And when you talk about facets, is this the geometrical display rendering ? or the way you approximate a cylinder by small sections of a polygone ?
--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi then why not use cylinders, these are geometrical shapes known to COMSOL. And when you talk about facets, is this the geometrical display rendering ? or the way you approximate a cylinder by small sections of a polygone ? -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 2011年2月9日 GMT-5 04:08
Hi.
I've already tryed with cylinders however I could not find the way to mesh them properly. In fact the error that I get when mesh the structure is the following:

Error: 4028
Failed to generate mesh for face.
- Face: 1
Failed to insert point.
- s1 value: 0
- s2 value: 1
An invalid cavity was detected.

Regards,
Javier
Hi. I've already tryed with cylinders however I could not find the way to mesh them properly. In fact the error that I get when mesh the structure is the following: Error: 4028 Failed to generate mesh for face. - Face: 1 Failed to insert point. - s1 value: 0 - s2 value: 1 An invalid cavity was detected. Regards, Javier

Posted: 1 decade ago 2011年2月9日 GMT-5 05:30
Hi

this mainly means you do not have a clean geometry,some small overlaps (perhaps in the 1-10 um siz region, o siver faces etc., check your geometry, are all domains clean ? and separate, with well defined common boundaries

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi this mainly means you do not have a clean geometry,some small overlaps (perhaps in the 1-10 um siz region, o siver faces etc., check your geometry, are all domains clean ? and separate, with well defined common boundaries -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 2011年2月9日 GMT-5 06:13
Hi
I'll try to explain my point. I'm working with a conductor espiral coil generated in solidworks. I've being trying to import a cylindrical wire coil in a parasolid format and after several messages like the following:

Error: 4028
Failed to generate mesh for face.
- Face: 2
Failed to insert point.
- s1 value: 1
- s2 value: 1
An invalid cavity was detected.

I decided to try with a square corss section wire coil and I succeed meching the structure and solving the problem. I decide to go forward and try with more complex geometries of wire cross section however I could not obtain any result when meshing and I came back to similar errors that presented above.
I hope this clarify my point.
regards,
Hi I'll try to explain my point. I'm working with a conductor espiral coil generated in solidworks. I've being trying to import a cylindrical wire coil in a parasolid format and after several messages like the following: Error: 4028 Failed to generate mesh for face. - Face: 2 Failed to insert point. - s1 value: 1 - s2 value: 1 An invalid cavity was detected. I decided to try with a square corss section wire coil and I succeed meching the structure and solving the problem. I decide to go forward and try with more complex geometries of wire cross section however I could not obtain any result when meshing and I came back to similar errors that presented above. I hope this clarify my point. regards,

Posted: 1 decade ago 2011年2月9日 GMT-5 08:07
Hi

not fully apart that "cavities" meen for me nested domains or silfer faces that are badly interpreted. you can check surface "2" in the corner where the surface tangeant s1=s2=1.

you know in v4.1 you can geerate spirals also in COMSOL

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi not fully apart that "cavities" meen for me nested domains or silfer faces that are badly interpreted. you can check surface "2" in the corner where the surface tangeant s1=s2=1. you know in v4.1 you can geerate spirals also in COMSOL -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.