Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Longer simulation study

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello everyone,

I'm facing an usual problem with a comsol time dependent simulation study. In the study settings, upon changing the upper limit of the time range by a decade, the simulation doesn't show any physical response. While it was completely fine when the study setting was up to a certain limit in range, considering I didn't make any further changes in resolution or meshing in my physical model, going to one more decade level in the range doesn't produce any results. Could it be related to any other setting I might be unaware of?

To give you context I'm running a time dependent study of 0-10ms with a resolution of 1e-7 and relative tolerance of 1e-6. And I'm being able to run it when this range is 1ms but after that it just doesn't produce any result.
Any help would be appreciated.

2 Replies Last Post 2017年3月23日 GMT-4 22:07
Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Posted: 7 years ago 2017年3月23日 GMT-4 11:03
Hi,

This sound like it could be the same issue as discussed in these threads:

www.comsol.com/community/forums/general/thread/107622/
www.comsol.com/community/forums/general/thread/108101

Regards,
Henrik
Hi, This sound like it could be the same issue as discussed in these threads: https://www.comsol.com/community/forums/general/thread/107622/ https://www.comsol.com/community/forums/general/thread/108101 Regards, Henrik

Posted: 7 years ago 2017年3月23日 GMT-4 22:07
Thanks Henrik.
I actually overcame the problem. One of the links you provided provided some direction.
Actually the initial step of the study is a fraction of the final range and beyond a certain threshold jeopardizes with the resolution. One has to manually set the initial step, just for anyone following this thread.

One follow up question though, I'm typically facing a lot of problem regarding temporarily file creation while running heavy simulations, even on a server!

After a while my software drive gets loaded (even upto 16GB extra space temporarily as I noticed on my PC) and is abruptly shut down with the message saying didn't have enough space on the disk for temporary file creation.

Is this an expected problem with such longer studies? Can this be overcome?
Thanks Henrik. I actually overcame the problem. One of the links you provided provided some direction. Actually the initial step of the study is a fraction of the final range and beyond a certain threshold jeopardizes with the resolution. One has to manually set the initial step, just for anyone following this thread. One follow up question though, I'm typically facing a lot of problem regarding temporarily file creation while running heavy simulations, even on a server! After a while my software drive gets loaded (even upto 16GB extra space temporarily as I noticed on my PC) and is abruptly shut down with the message saying didn't have enough space on the disk for temporary file creation. Is this an expected problem with such longer studies? Can this be overcome?

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.