Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Memory running low only during Results Display

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I am running a simulation of surface acoustic waves along a bridge using the structural mechanics module (in Comsol 4.1 on a 64 bit Unix). It is a simple rectangle meshed to have ~4,000 degrees of freedom and I am running a time dependent study with a time range in seconds of (0, 1e-12, 1.2e-7). The model runs within a few hours, and can run while plotting the results without any problem.

However, at the completion of the run, trying to click into the results tab and plot the results for various times results in every process running on the computer being frozen; sometimes it unfreezes later and sometimes not. I have read elsewhere that in 64 bit computers running Comsol this can happen during runs if RAM is running low (the computer has 16GBs). I have also noticed that while processes are fairly evenly distributed over the 6 CPUs during solving, during plotting usually only 1 CPU is active.

Can anyone explain why a single plot of the results at one time step can be obtained during the run, but not once it has finished? Is there anything that I can do besides simplifying the model to prevent these freezes from occurring?

I am new to Comsol and thank everyone in advance.

Megan

0 Replies Last Post 2011年3月6日 GMT-5 14:55
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Megan Price

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.