Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Electrical machine + Spice

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

Does anyone has a simple working model of an electrical motor/generator connected to a Spice circuit ?

Thank you in advance!

15 Replies Last Post 2017年2月5日 GMT-5 05:03
COMSOL Moderator

Hello L. Queval

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Posted: 1 decade ago 2011年4月6日 GMT-4 14:58
If I have correctly understood - it is necessary to specify:
The model of the electric machine in language Spice is necessary?
For which Spice-program? PSpice? gnucap? etc?
I have models for LTSpice.

yuri
If I have correctly understood - it is necessary to specify: The model of the electric machine in language Spice is necessary? For which Spice-program? PSpice? gnucap? etc? I have models for LTSpice. yuri

Posted: 1 decade ago 2011年4月6日 GMT-4 15:04
Addition:

I am not familiar with Spice for COMSOL.

Yuri
Addition: I am not familiar with Spice for COMSOL. Yuri

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2011年4月7日 GMT-4 01:46
Hi

it's in the ACDC module "Circuit" or "CIR" nice way to an electric circuit, it's just that currently it's missing a simple editor visualiser

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi it's in the ACDC module "Circuit" or "CIR" nice way to an electric circuit, it's just that currently it's missing a simple editor visualiser -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 2011年4月7日 GMT-4 02:31
Ivar, thanks for a reply!

Where it is possible to read the description of a format Spice for COMSOL ?

Yuri.

P.S. I do not have installed versions COMSOL
Ivar, thanks for a reply! Where it is possible to read the description of a format Spice for COMSOL ? Yuri. P.S. I do not have installed versions COMSOL

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2011年4月7日 GMT-4 03:10
Hi

not more than the help files:
Refences
1. bwrc.eecs.berkeley.edu/Classes/IcBook/SPICE/
2. P. Antognetti and G. Massobrio, Semiconductor Device Modeling with Spice, 2nd ed., McGraw-Hill, Inc., 1993.

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi not more than the help files: Refences 1. http://bwrc.eecs.berkeley.edu/Classes/IcBook/SPICE/ 2. P. Antognetti and G. Massobrio, Semiconductor Device Modeling with Spice, 2nd ed., McGraw-Hill, Inc., 1993. -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 2011年4月7日 GMT-4 08:51

Ivar, thanks for a reply!

Where it is possible to read the description of a format Spice for COMSOL ?

Yuri.

P.S. I do not have installed versions COMSOL

Here is a screen shot of what you can do with COMSOL "spice". See attached picture.

Not everything that you can do in LTSpice, Orcad, etc, can be done in COMSOL. It is fairly limited and primitive.

I am only aware of one example file in the model galleries here that shows how to link up spice and COMSOL. Does not seem to be well documented feature.

Descriptions of how the electrical interface works is in the RF Module documentation.

When you import a netlist, they have to end with a .cir extension.

If you do not follow the correct spice format, COMSOL will tell you so.
[QUOTE] Ivar, thanks for a reply! Where it is possible to read the description of a format Spice for COMSOL ? Yuri. P.S. I do not have installed versions COMSOL [/QUOTE] Here is a screen shot of what you can do with COMSOL "spice". See attached picture. Not everything that you can do in LTSpice, Orcad, etc, can be done in COMSOL. It is fairly limited and primitive. I am only aware of one example file in the model galleries here that shows how to link up spice and COMSOL. Does not seem to be well documented feature. Descriptions of how the electrical interface works is in the RF Module documentation. When you import a netlist, they have to end with a .cir extension. If you do not follow the correct spice format, COMSOL will tell you so.

Posted: 1 decade ago 2011年4月7日 GMT-4 09:29
Hi

for those who want to test it there is also this: www.comsol.eu/community/exchange/146/

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi for those who want to test it there is also this: http://www.comsol.eu/community/exchange/146/ -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 2011年4月7日 GMT-4 13:16
Thanks for the answer!

The most simple model of the electric machine can be constructed by means of "Arbitrary behavioral voltage or current sources".

But these elements are not present in COMSOL, therefore construction of model will be problematic.
Unfortunately, my models of electric machines cannot be applied for COMSOL.

Probably, elements "External..." it is possible to use to representation of a these sources.

Yuri.
Thanks for the answer! The most simple model of the electric machine can be constructed by means of "Arbitrary behavioral voltage or current sources". But these elements are not present in COMSOL, therefore construction of model will be problematic. Unfortunately, my models of electric machines cannot be applied for COMSOL. Probably, elements "External..." it is possible to use to representation of a these sources. Yuri.

Posted: 1 decade ago 2011年4月7日 GMT-4 13:23
yuri

you should be able to use "arbitrary behavioral" elements. these are the dependent sources that are listed in the image i attached above. things like a voltage controlled voltage source and so on. in spice lingo these are E, F,G,H elements. if may not be a pretty spice model but you can do it.
yuri you should be able to use "arbitrary behavioral" elements. these are the dependent sources that are listed in the image i attached above. things like a voltage controlled voltage source and so on. in spice lingo these are E, F,G,H elements. if may not be a pretty spice model but you can do it.

Posted: 1 decade ago 2011年4月7日 GMT-4 14:41

I do not have installed versions COMSOL, therefore I can not estimate opportunity E, F, G, H elements

To the address of sourceforge.net/projects/diel/files/ is located the file: Sohor_Modelling_LTSPICE.pdf (in Russian). Here on pages 97 - 99 there are examples of models of asynchronous motor for LTSpice.

Here an example of one of them:

.subckt ADZ a b c w m n
.param Zp=2 Lm=28.7m Ls=29.4m Lr=29.7m Rs=0.067 Rr=0.032 J=0.62
.param q=sqrt(Ls*Lr2) Lr2=1.5*Lr Rr2=1.5*Rr sq3=sqrt(3.)
+k11=Lm/q
+k21=-Lm/2/q
+k22=sq3*Lm/q/2
+k31=-Lm/q/2
+k32=-sq3*Lm/q/2
R1 a N001 {Rs}
R2 b N003 {Rs}
R3 c N005 {Rs}
L1 N001 n {Ls}
L2 N003 n {Ls}
L3 N005 n {Ls}
L4 N002 N004 {Lr2}
L5 N006 N007 {Lr2}
k1 L1 L4 {k11}
k2 L2 L4 {k21}
k3 L2 L5 {k22}
k4 L3 L4 {k31}
k5 L3 L5 {k32}
R5 N004 0 {Rr2}
R6 N007 0 {Rr2}
B10 N002 0 V=-{Zp}*v(w)*({Lm}*sq3/2*(i(L2)-i(L3)) + {Lr2}*i(L5))
B11 N006 0 V={Zp}*v(w)*(3/2*{Lm}*i(L1) + {Lr2}*i(L4) )
B9 0 w I={Zp}*sq3/2*{Lm}*( (i(L2)-i(L3))*i(L4) - sq3*i(L1)*i(L5))
B1 m 0 V=I(B9)
C2 w 0 {J}
.end ADZ

If details interest, that I can give them .

Yuri
I do not have installed versions COMSOL, therefore I can not estimate opportunity E, F, G, H elements To the address of http://sourceforge.net/projects/diel/files/ is located the file: Sohor_Modelling_LTSPICE.pdf (in Russian). Here on pages 97 - 99 there are examples of models of asynchronous motor for LTSpice. Here an example of one of them: .subckt ADZ a b c w m n .param Zp=2 Lm=28.7m Ls=29.4m Lr=29.7m Rs=0.067 Rr=0.032 J=0.62 .param q=sqrt(Ls*Lr2) Lr2=1.5*Lr Rr2=1.5*Rr sq3=sqrt(3.) +k11=Lm/q +k21=-Lm/2/q +k22=sq3*Lm/q/2 +k31=-Lm/q/2 +k32=-sq3*Lm/q/2 R1 a N001 {Rs} R2 b N003 {Rs} R3 c N005 {Rs} L1 N001 n {Ls} L2 N003 n {Ls} L3 N005 n {Ls} L4 N002 N004 {Lr2} L5 N006 N007 {Lr2} k1 L1 L4 {k11} k2 L2 L4 {k21} k3 L2 L5 {k22} k4 L3 L4 {k31} k5 L3 L5 {k32} R5 N004 0 {Rr2} R6 N007 0 {Rr2} B10 N002 0 V=-{Zp}*v(w)*({Lm}*sq3/2*(i(L2)-i(L3)) + {Lr2}*i(L5)) B11 N006 0 V={Zp}*v(w)*(3/2*{Lm}*i(L1) + {Lr2}*i(L4) ) B9 0 w I={Zp}*sq3/2*{Lm}*( (i(L2)-i(L3))*i(L4) - sq3*i(L1)*i(L5)) B1 m 0 V=I(B9) C2 w 0 {J} .end ADZ If details interest, that I can give them . Yuri

Posted: 1 decade ago 2011年4月7日 GMT-4 15:04
Yuri

I am not able to read russian but I can tell you that the netlist you posted will give you other troubles in comsol. I think that a netlist with a B statement such as B10 below, may be specific to LTSpice. In LTspice it is an arbitrary behavioral source. I don't think comsol has an equivalent. Also, the K statements for linking inductors is a problem too. Comsol does not recognize that one either. If you tried to import that as a netlist, I am 100% sure comsol will give you an error. Maybe future versions of the s/w will but not right now. Maybe somebody else out there knows more???
Yuri I am not able to read russian but I can tell you that the netlist you posted will give you other troubles in comsol. I think that a netlist with a B statement such as B10 below, may be specific to LTSpice. In LTspice it is an arbitrary behavioral source. I don't think comsol has an equivalent. Also, the K statements for linking inductors is a problem too. Comsol does not recognize that one either. If you tried to import that as a netlist, I am 100% sure comsol will give you an error. Maybe future versions of the s/w will but not right now. Maybe somebody else out there knows more???

Posted: 1 decade ago 2011年4月8日 GMT-4 02:07
Probably, if the Spice-model has communication with results of calculation of a magnetic field in COMSOL (elements "External..." ), values behavioral source B10, B11, B9 and K statements for linking inductors - can be received through calculation of a magnetic field of the electric machine.

But it will be more exact model and more complex.

Yuri.
Probably, if the Spice-model has communication with results of calculation of a magnetic field in COMSOL (elements "External..." ), values behavioral source B10, B11, B9 and K statements for linking inductors - can be received through calculation of a magnetic field of the electric machine. But it will be more exact model and more complex. Yuri.

Posted: 1 decade ago 2011年4月8日 GMT-4 02:14
Hi

but aren't we here talking about different spice file formats and conventions ?
Does there not exist a "translator" somewhere out there ?

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi but aren't we here talking about different spice file formats and conventions ? Does there not exist a "translator" somewhere out there ? -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 2011年4月8日 GMT-4 02:53

Likely, behavior source and K statements it is possible to collect from elements E, F, G, H....

Then it is possible to find or make the translator.

Yuri.
Likely, behavior source and K statements it is possible to collect from elements E, F, G, H.... Then it is possible to find or make the translator. Yuri.

Posted: 7 years ago 2017年2月5日 GMT-5 05:03
Hi yuri
Could you give me a copy of the Sohor_Modelling_LTSPICE.pdf to chenxi@tju.edu.cn? Thanks.
Hi yuri Could you give me a copy of the Sohor_Modelling_LTSPICE.pdf to chenxi@tju.edu.cn? Thanks.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.