Discussion Locked This discussion was locked by a forum moderator.

getting Error: 6192 Out of memory when performing operation on sparse matrix.

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

i construct a real time power transmission "tower" structure to determine its effect on the capacitance of power transmission line (using v3.2)
i am getting error "6192 Out of memory when performing operation on sparse matrix".. please tell me which type of error is this and how to remove this error
best regard
puneet malhotra

5 Replies Last Post 2016年9月26日 GMT-4 09:23
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2011年3月13日 GMT-4 15:15
Hi

that is typically a RAM memory w.r.t model complexity (mesh and number of DoF to large) issue.

Not much to do either by getting a bigger PC, iff v3.2 accepts to look after more RAM.
Or to update to a newer version and a newer PC,
finally by simplifying the model (fewer mesh elements)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi that is typically a RAM memory w.r.t model complexity (mesh and number of DoF to large) issue. Not much to do either by getting a bigger PC, iff v3.2 accepts to look after more RAM. Or to update to a newer version and a newer PC, finally by simplifying the model (fewer mesh elements) -- Good luck Ivar

Seyed Hamed Mirsadeghi

Posted: 9 years ago 2015年2月1日 GMT-5 01:15
Hi Ivar,
I have the same problem. My simulation is with RF module and 4e6 DOF. My computer has 64 gig of RAM with linux OS and I have comsol 4.3b. I tried to solve this memory issue by using out of core option of MUMPS solver. But didn't work. Could you please tell me why the out of core calculation doesn't work and what should I do?
Thanks,
Hamed
Hi Ivar, I have the same problem. My simulation is with RF module and 4e6 DOF. My computer has 64 gig of RAM with linux OS and I have comsol 4.3b. I tried to solve this memory issue by using out of core option of MUMPS solver. But didn't work. Could you please tell me why the out of core calculation doesn't work and what should I do? Thanks, Hamed

Walter Frei COMSOL Employee

Posted: 9 years ago 2015年2月12日 GMT-5 13:10
Dear Hamed,

Please see: www.comsol.com/blogs/much-memory-needed-solve-large-comsol-models/
for a rough idea of how much memory is needed to solve large models, and how to predict your memory requirements. Your problem should solve on your computer if you use the default solver settings for an RF model.
Dear Hamed, Please see: http://www.comsol.com/blogs/much-memory-needed-solve-large-comsol-models/ for a rough idea of how much memory is needed to solve large models, and how to predict your memory requirements. Your problem should solve on your computer if you use the default solver settings for an RF model.

Posted: 8 years ago 2016年9月25日 GMT-4 00:24
Dear Walter,

My simulation stopped running saying this error message too. However, my workstation has plenty RAMs left that is enough to run my simulation. I know this issue must be related to the RAMs but i think is something else not out of memory.
Here is more information. I have three COMSOL jobs running for about 2 weeks already and each one costs about 30GB of RAMs. (My workstation has 256GB of RAMs.) When one of my jobs stopped running and giving me the error of out of memory, I checked the total usage of memory from Task Manager showing that 64% of memory was using (about 64% X 256GB = 163GB) while the usage percentage on my account is 35% (90GB) which is actually how much my COMSOL jobs are using. It is obvious that the memory is enough to support my job but we can also see that there are about 73GB (163-90) leaking to nowhere.
Also I had this issue two months ago and this problem got be fixed by rebooting my workstation.
I have asked technicians from the vendor of my workstation and there is nothing wrong with hardware including RAMs.
Is that because I am running multiply COMSOL jobs for too long or some other things relevant to COMSOL but there is no other software is operating at the same time.

I hope I am not the only guy having this issue and if you have any thoughts, please let me know.
Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Best Regards,
Yi
Dear Walter, My simulation stopped running saying this error message too. However, my workstation has plenty RAMs left that is enough to run my simulation. I know this issue must be related to the RAMs but i think is something else not out of memory. Here is more information. I have three COMSOL jobs running for about 2 weeks already and each one costs about 30GB of RAMs. (My workstation has 256GB of RAMs.) When one of my jobs stopped running and giving me the error of out of memory, I checked the total usage of memory from Task Manager showing that 64% of memory was using (about 64% X 256GB = 163GB) while the usage percentage on my account is 35% (90GB) which is actually how much my COMSOL jobs are using. It is obvious that the memory is enough to support my job but we can also see that there are about 73GB (163-90) leaking to nowhere. Also I had this issue two months ago and this problem got be fixed by rebooting my workstation. I have asked technicians from the vendor of my workstation and there is nothing wrong with hardware including RAMs. Is that because I am running multiply COMSOL jobs for too long or some other things relevant to COMSOL but there is no other software is operating at the same time. I hope I am not the only guy having this issue and if you have any thoughts, please let me know. Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Best Regards, Yi

Walter Frei COMSOL Employee

Posted: 8 years ago 2016年9月26日 GMT-4 09:23
Hello Yi,

You will want to contact our Support Team directly about this, as the description here certainly does sound like unusual behavior. It is something for which we would need to see a reproduce file for to begin our investigations. Now, if the error message that you're getting is actually this error (6192) then this would indicate you are using version 3.5a, a much earlier version of the software which is no longer supported.

For anyone still using 3.5a we do recommend that you upgrade to the latest supported version of the software, currently 5.2a. You are of course still welcome to use 3.5a if you wish, but we do encourage you to upgrade as we have put enormous effort into new features, better performance, and overall improvements in the software over the years.

More generally, about out-of-memory error messages, we now recommend that people first consult:
www.comsol.com/support/knowledgebase/1030/

Since the original message in this thread is about a version of the software that is now no longer on support, this thread will be closed for further comments, but will remain visible. If there are follow-on questions, please do feel free to open a new thread.

Best Regards,
Walter
Hello Yi, You will want to contact our Support Team directly about this, as the description here certainly does sound like unusual behavior. It is something for which we would need to see a reproduce file for to begin our investigations. Now, if the error message that you're getting is actually this error (6192) then this would indicate you are using version 3.5a, a much earlier version of the software which is no longer supported. For anyone still using 3.5a we do recommend that you upgrade to the latest supported version of the software, currently 5.2a. You are of course still welcome to use 3.5a if you wish, but we do encourage you to upgrade as we have put enormous effort into new features, better performance, and overall improvements in the software over the years. More generally, about out-of-memory error messages, we now recommend that people first consult: https://www.comsol.com/support/knowledgebase/1030/ Since the original message in this thread is about a version of the software that is now no longer on support, this thread will be closed for further comments, but will remain visible. If there are follow-on questions, please do feel free to open a new thread. Best Regards, Walter

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.