Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Apply floquet periodicity in PDE to plot complex band structure

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear masters...i have successfully plotted band structure for 2D sonic crystal with comsol. However, it's also worthwhile to study the evanescent modes in lossy materials, this is done by calculating the complex band structure (usually done with an extended plane wave expansion procedure). The complex band structure is calculated by using a real frequency as input and solving for complex wave number. Thus resulting in two dispersion curves, one is omega vs real(k) and one is omega vs imag(k). I learned from a paper that to take wave number(k) as the eigenvalue, one has to apply PDE module. But i really have no idea how could i apply peridoic condition within PDE module as what i do within solid mechanics module. Looking forward to your kind guide! Even if someone has done this within the scope of optics or electronics, it would be helpful.

2 Replies Last Post 2018年3月5日 GMT-5 07:05

Posted: 6 years ago 2018年2月16日 GMT-5 12:43

I have the same question. Why there is no Floquent Periodicty option in pertiodic boundary condition? How to tweek the equation?

-------------------
Shahin
I have the same question. Why there is no Floquent Periodicty option in pertiodic boundary condition? How to tweek the equation?

Posted: 6 years ago 2018年3月5日 GMT-5 07:05

have u solved your problem, man?

>I have the same question. Why there is no Floquent Periodicty option in pertiodic boundary condition? How to tweek the equation? have u solved your problem, man?

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.