Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Can I investigate magnetic flux phase?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

After poking around the software I wanted to ask a quick question:

Is there a way I can look at the phase of an alternating magnetic flux? I am thinking about induction motors and shaded poles so I'd like to model a typical single-coil inductor where a phase shift is implemented in the magnetic flux across the air gap. Any quick pointers would be very appreciated!

-Peter

4 Replies Last Post 2018年4月12日 GMT-4 17:52
Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Posted: 6 years ago 2018年4月12日 GMT-4 15:35

Peter, Sure you can. The magnetic flux density components are complex quantities.

Cheers Edgar

-------------------
Edgar J. Kaiser
emPhys Physical Technology
www.emphys.com
Peter, Sure you can. The magnetic flux density components are complex quantities. Cheers Edgar

Posted: 6 years ago 2018年4月12日 GMT-4 17:06
Updated: 6 years ago 2018年4月12日 GMT-4 17:35

Ok, based on your comment I'm seeing that I need to activate the "Split complex variables in real and imaginary parts" check box in the "Compile Equations: Stationary" and then plot expressions like real(mf.normB) and imag(mf.normB) to access the complex values, etc. to get explicit phase information. Can you confirm this is the correct approach?

CORRECTION: I suppose I'll want to plot real(mf.Bx) imag(mf.Bx) etc.

Thank you for your advice.

-Peter

Ok, based on your comment I'm seeing that I need to activate the "Split complex variables in real and imaginary parts" check box in the "Compile Equations: Stationary" and then plot expressions like real(mf.normB) and imag(mf.normB) to access the complex values, etc. to get explicit phase information. Can you confirm this is the correct approach? CORRECTION: I suppose I'll want to plot real(mf.Bx) imag(mf.Bx) etc. Thank you for your advice. -Peter

Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Posted: 6 years ago 2018年4月12日 GMT-4 17:47

You don't need to split the complex variables. The real() and imag() operator extracts the components.

-------------------
Edgar J. Kaiser
emPhys Physical Technology
www.emphys.com
You don't need to split the complex variables. The real() and imag() operator extracts the components.

Posted: 6 years ago 2018年4月12日 GMT-4 17:52

Oh ok. Thanks! Applying this to an application model now and getting somewhere...

I appreciate it.

Oh ok. Thanks! Applying this to an application model now and getting somewhere... I appreciate it.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.