Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Simulate a falling body that impacts on a deformable surface

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I would like to know if Comsol can simulate the deformation of a plastic surface as a consequence of the impact with a falling body (a ball, for example).

If so, would you be so kind to give me some suggestions?

Thank you very much!

Best regards,
Caterina

4 Replies Last Post 2015年7月31日 GMT-4 02:36
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2011年5月5日 GMT-4 15:18
Hi

My understanding is that COMSOL, as any FEM programmes, is not really tailored for multibody simulations. But with some equation writing and COMSOL open access to the equations, I still believe you can do a good job about analysing the deformation of a ball bouncing off a hard surface (with COMSOL ;)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi My understanding is that COMSOL, as any FEM programmes, is not really tailored for multibody simulations. But with some equation writing and COMSOL open access to the equations, I still believe you can do a good job about analysing the deformation of a ball bouncing off a hard surface (with COMSOL ;) -- Good luck Ivar

Nagi Elabbasi Facebook Reality Labs

Posted: 1 decade ago 2011年5月6日 GMT-4 10:57
Finite element programs have difficulties simulating rigid to rigid multibody contact problems as Ivar mentioned. However, in this case, one of the impacting bodies is flexible (plastic) so there is no problem. You can find many papers/examples on say drop testing simulations (flexible body impacting rigid surfaces – I have one paper in the upcoming NAFEMS 2011 conference), or shot peening (rigid spheres impacting a flexible plastic body).

I don’t recall seeing any similar COMSOL example but it should be doable. Getting the right material damping properties in these problems is important.

Nagi Elabbasi
Veryst Engineering
Finite element programs have difficulties simulating rigid to rigid multibody contact problems as Ivar mentioned. However, in this case, one of the impacting bodies is flexible (plastic) so there is no problem. You can find many papers/examples on say drop testing simulations (flexible body impacting rigid surfaces – I have one paper in the upcoming NAFEMS 2011 conference), or shot peening (rigid spheres impacting a flexible plastic body). I don’t recall seeing any similar COMSOL example but it should be doable. Getting the right material damping properties in these problems is important. Nagi Elabbasi Veryst Engineering

Posted: 1 decade ago 2011年5月7日 GMT-4 11:23
Dear all,

Thanks for your support! I will follow your suggestions!

Best regards,
Caterina
Dear all, Thanks for your support! I will follow your suggestions! Best regards, Caterina

Posted: 9 years ago 2015年7月31日 GMT-4 02:36
Dear Nagi,

I'm trying to model impact simulation of an upper beam rotates and hit another beam below it. I have used multibody dynamic physics along with the contact formulation using the penalty factor method. The forces are due gravity only. I'm using comsol 5.0 and as I have read in the comsol documents (structural mechanics module) that the contact formulation does not work with impact problems and we need always to check conservation of energy and momentum to check the results. On the other hand, I have solved the problem analytically using conservation of energy and momentum. The shear in comsol, was higher than the analytical solution, but the moment and deflection were smaller than the analytical. In addition, I'm having large contact force due to impact leading to increase shear and reduces the velocity after impact which leads to decrease moment and deflection in comsol as compared with analytical solution.
I just want to match the results because I'm getting twice the shear from comsol and 1/6 moment and deflection from comsol as compared with analytical solution.

Any suggestions would be very helpful, thanks in advance.

My Best Regards

Mustafa Al-Kamal
Dear Nagi, I'm trying to model impact simulation of an upper beam rotates and hit another beam below it. I have used multibody dynamic physics along with the contact formulation using the penalty factor method. The forces are due gravity only. I'm using comsol 5.0 and as I have read in the comsol documents (structural mechanics module) that the contact formulation does not work with impact problems and we need always to check conservation of energy and momentum to check the results. On the other hand, I have solved the problem analytically using conservation of energy and momentum. The shear in comsol, was higher than the analytical solution, but the moment and deflection were smaller than the analytical. In addition, I'm having large contact force due to impact leading to increase shear and reduces the velocity after impact which leads to decrease moment and deflection in comsol as compared with analytical solution. I just want to match the results because I'm getting twice the shear from comsol and 1/6 moment and deflection from comsol as compared with analytical solution. Any suggestions would be very helpful, thanks in advance. My Best Regards Mustafa Al-Kamal

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.