Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Why the integral of "u",the x componenet of velocity, over a surface parallel to "xy" plane is not zero?!!

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all,

I ran into a very strange problem. I was checking the mass conservation in my model when I found that COMSOL 4.2 does not take the integration in a way we expect. I have normal velocity as my inlet BC and pressure, no viscous stress as my outlet BC. The integral of "w", the z component of velocity, and velocity magnitude "spf.U", over my inlet surface parallel to "xy" plane were equal which was good. The integral of "u" and "v" over the inlet surface were zero which was reasonable. HOWEVER, for the outlet I have non zero values as the integrals of "u" and "v" over the outlet surface parallel to "xy" plane. The integrals of "w" and "spf.U" are not equal. Integration of "w" gives me the right (equal to inlet) flow rate but integration of "spf.U" gives me a value more than my inlet flow rate, most likely because of accounting for "u" and "v". Everybody knows that the integral of a vector parallel to a surface, over that surface should be zero. How does COMSOL calculate the integral?

by the way, I am using Results/ derived values/ integration to calculate the integral. There is no script involved.

Thanks in advance.

0 Replies Last Post 2011年7月29日 GMT-4 16:25
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Mahshid Mohammadi

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.