Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Electric Field Distribution in COMSOL

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am trying to simulate a problem in COMSOL, whereby I have to study the difference in electric field distribution using different liquids as dielectrics. I have constructed a 2-D geometry with a point plane electrode configuration using oil as a dielectric material. My constitutive relation for Electric Field is relative permittivity. However, when I change the value of relative permittivity using same or different types of oil, the electric field distribution doesnot change. I can not figure out where the problem lies and need help with the simulation.

3 Replies Last Post 2019年3月2日 GMT-5 08:59
Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Posted: 5 years ago 2019年3月2日 GMT-5 08:02

Fatima,

if you have potential BCs on the electrodes neither the potential distribution nor the field distribution depends on permittivity. Only with charge BCs potential and field will change with permittivity.

Cheers Edgar

-------------------
Edgar J. Kaiser
emPhys Physical Technology
www.emphys.com
Fatima, if you have potential BCs on the electrodes neither the potential distribution nor the field distribution depends on permittivity. Only with charge BCs potential and field will change with permittivity. Cheers Edgar

Posted: 5 years ago 2019年3月2日 GMT-5 08:20

Thank you for you help. Can you please elaborate as to your suggestion. If I assign charge BCs to my electrodes, I will still need to assign a potential BC as well, for the formation of field?

Thank you for you help. Can you please elaborate as to your suggestion. If I assign charge BCs to my electrodes, I will still need to assign a potential BC as well, for the formation of field?

Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Posted: 5 years ago 2019年3月2日 GMT-5 08:59

No, you can't use charge density and potential at the same boundary. The charge will result in some potential and this in turn will be dependent on the dielectric. I would recommend some textbook about basic electrostatics.

-------------------
Edgar J. Kaiser
emPhys Physical Technology
www.emphys.com
No, you can't use charge density and potential at the same boundary. The charge will result in some potential and this in turn will be dependent on the dielectric. I would recommend some textbook about basic electrostatics.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.