Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

how to make my variable changes with time??

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello all,

I am new user of COMSOL-Heat transfer module.

I want to make my heat source (heat flux) is function of time...

Example:

Q (heat flux)= 200/5 * t1

hear t1 is time which is selective like (0, 5, 10, 15 second).... So my heat source supply heat when t1==t (actual time)..

Please help me in this matter, I tried analytical but I think, I could not understand this function properly !!!

Thanks in advance. :)

Regards,
Chirag Patel

2 Replies Last Post 2011年10月22日 GMT-4 11:20
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2011年10月22日 GMT-4 03:28
Hi

if you want a wariable to change with time, you simply write out the equation with the internal variable "t" such as

Q = Qa[W/m^2/s] * t + Q0[W/m^2]

the units might change depending on your model and BC conditions.

If you want to "turn on and/or off" a source at a given time or during a period of time, then define a "step()", or "pulse" operator to add in the "Definition - Function" node and multiply the Qa by this step function, i.e.

Q = Qa[W/m^2] * step(t[1s]) + Q0[W/m^2]

Note the change of units, AND the t[1/s] as operators/functions want that the call variables are unitless, in this case I enforce it to seconds, but min or hours are also possible (check the units symbols in the doc)

To begin with COMSOL you need to read the doc a few times to get used to the notations, it takes some time, but it's fully worth it

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi if you want a wariable to change with time, you simply write out the equation with the internal variable "t" such as Q = Qa[W/m^2/s] * t + Q0[W/m^2] the units might change depending on your model and BC conditions. If you want to "turn on and/or off" a source at a given time or during a period of time, then define a "step()", or "pulse" operator to add in the "Definition - Function" node and multiply the Qa by this step function, i.e. Q = Qa[W/m^2] * step(t[1s]) + Q0[W/m^2] Note the change of units, AND the t[1/s] as operators/functions want that the call variables are unitless, in this case I enforce it to seconds, but min or hours are also possible (check the units symbols in the doc) To begin with COMSOL you need to read the doc a few times to get used to the notations, it takes some time, but it's fully worth it -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 2011年10月22日 GMT-4 11:20

Hi, Ivar
Thank you very much for your reply.

Hi, Ivar Thank you very much for your reply.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.