Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Nonlinear solver did not converge. Laser Heating of 3D Model

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Good afternoon everyone, hope you can help me with my issue.

I am trying to determine the maximum temperatures at the surface of a simple rectangular 3D model where the top portion of the model represents the powder bed of an SLM process. The material properties of the powder bed, the bulk material below, and the base plate on the bottom (density, Cp, conductivity) are temperature dependant. The laser is represented with a 2D Gaussian Distribution heat flux as a function of laser power.

The error I get is as follows:

Nonlinear solver did not converge. Divergence of the linear iterations. There was an error message from the linear solver. Very ill-conditioned preconditioner. Time : 1.2683301879645671e-05 Last time step is not converged.

Laser diameter is 80 microns, to verify if something else was wrong, I tried with 800 microns, and it converged. Any suggestions for my issue?

Thanks in advance.

0 Replies Last Post 2019年9月10日 GMT-4 16:02
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Alejandro Arias

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.