Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

MEMS fluid-structure interaction

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I want to simulate a microscale membrane pump for fluids. As I'm not very experieced with Comsol I started fiddling around with the fluid-structure interaction example.

The first experiment i did was to change the inlet flow to a sine function but the model seems extremely sensitive to any changes. It seems no matter what I do the it doesn't converge. Even when clicking on "restart" without changing anything in the model i get "warning: inverted mesh element..." and the solver fails.

Why is it so sensitive? How can I simulate fluid-structure interaction more freely?

1 Reply Last Post 2010年1月11日 GMT-5 13:22
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 2010年1月11日 GMT-5 13:22
Hi

Sorry to tell but multiphysics simulations is still not just click and play.
And fluid-structure interactions is a very rich domain w.r.t many different phenomena happening, you need to get a good udnerstanding on what is going on, what you want to see and how the COMSOL tool operates.

The best is to start gently, and read and play with the examples of the documentation as well what you find on the web site.

Good luck
Ivar
Hi Sorry to tell but multiphysics simulations is still not just click and play. And fluid-structure interactions is a very rich domain w.r.t many different phenomena happening, you need to get a good udnerstanding on what is going on, what you want to see and how the COMSOL tool operates. The best is to start gently, and read and play with the examples of the documentation as well what you find on the web site. Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.