Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Initial Values Consistency Problem

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello

I am modelling the injection of single-phase flow in a container of multiphase fluid (reservoir).

When I run my model with a defined inlet pressure BC, it runs probably without any need to define an outlet BC (at the reservoir boundary).

But in my model, I am interested in modelling the constant inlet mass (constant inlet velocity) through a channel into the reservoir to explore the pressure development at the reservoir boundary (wall). When I do so (defining an inlet velocity), it gave am the following error (Failed to find consistent initial values. Last time step is not converged.)

It required me to define an outlet pressure or a pressure point constraint which is not the purpose of my study (I need the reservor boundary to be defined as a wall).

I already tried defining a step function to smooth the inlet velocity, but it doesn't work.

Cheers, Rami

1 Reply Last Post 2020年6月3日 GMT-4 13:15
Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 4 years ago 2020年6月3日 GMT-4 13:15
Updated: 4 years ago 2020年6月3日 GMT-4 16:41

Hello Rami,

The fact of the matter is that pressure enters the Navier Stokes equations only through its derivatives. As a result, unless you specify the pressure somewhere in your model, there isn't a unique solution to the mathematical problem you're asking COMSOL to solve.

For more details, read for instance this thread.

Best regards,

Jeff

-------------------
Jeff Hiller
Hello Rami, The fact of the matter is that pressure enters the Navier Stokes equations only through its derivatives. As a result, unless you specify the pressure somewhere in your model, there isn't a unique solution to the mathematical problem you're asking COMSOL to solve. For more details, read for instance [this thread](https://www.comsol.com/forum/thread/54451/failed-to-find-consistent-initial-values?last=2014-12-12T17:43:05Z). Best regards, Jeff

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.