Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

3D AC/DC simulation with motion? COMSOL 4.2a

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I would like to model a 3D permanent magnet generator moving at a constant rotational velocity.

My plan would be to use the AC/DC module combined with the Structural Mechanics>Solid Mechanics> Prescribed Velocity.

Does this make sense?

I see in 2D Rotating Machinery there is an option for Prescribed Rotational Velocity, but in 3D the option is not there.

6 Replies Last Post 2013年5月24日 GMT-4 08:46
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年2月16日 GMT-5 15:53
Hi

have you checked the 3D generator inthe model library ? (ACDC check the mdel library update first)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi have you checked the 3D generator inthe model library ? (ACDC check the mdel library update first) -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年2月16日 GMT-5 16:34
Thanks for the reply!

Yes, I have. The 3D generator model included is only a study of the STATIC magnetic fields inside the generator.

This means that the generator does not move, and, incidentally, doesn't even have windings included in the model.

Thanks for the reply! Yes, I have. The 3D generator model included is only a study of the STATIC magnetic fields inside the generator. This means that the generator does not move, and, incidentally, doesn't even have windings included in the model.

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年2月16日 GMT-5 17:16
Hi

it's corret that the 3D ACDC rotary machine is not there (yet ?)
but the 3D vector combination at the rotary boundary for EM is far from trivial, that is probably why. You must contact COMSOL directly for a better reply when it might arrive

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi it's corret that the 3D ACDC rotary machine is not there (yet ?) but the 3D vector combination at the rotary boundary for EM is far from trivial, that is probably why. You must contact COMSOL directly for a better reply when it might arrive -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年3月1日 GMT-5 06:44
Hi,

I am also interested in this topic. Unfortunately I haven't seen any information how to model a 3D rotating EM. John, are you considering asking Comsol directly? Could you maybe share their answer here?

By the way, are there any similar models for v.4x with a rotating 2D EM? I remember seeing one for v.3.5, unfortunately I haven't been working much with newer versions.

Cheers,
Arda
Hi, I am also interested in this topic. Unfortunately I haven't seen any information how to model a 3D rotating EM. John, are you considering asking Comsol directly? Could you maybe share their answer here? By the way, are there any similar models for v.4x with a rotating 2D EM? I remember seeing one for v.3.5, unfortunately I haven't been working much with newer versions. Cheers, Arda

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年3月29日 GMT-4 13:39
It turns out I am trying to do something similar but linear instead. I am interested in rotating machinery in COMSOL, but currently I am working on a device that uses sinusoidal linear motion; this gives a similar effect of a sinusoidally changing B-field. I would think either rotational or translational movement in COMSOL might not be trivial but would certainly be useful as many situations in EM/ACDC require movement of parts. Thanks in advance for more information on this topic.
It turns out I am trying to do something similar but linear instead. I am interested in rotating machinery in COMSOL, but currently I am working on a device that uses sinusoidal linear motion; this gives a similar effect of a sinusoidally changing B-field. I would think either rotational or translational movement in COMSOL might not be trivial but would certainly be useful as many situations in EM/ACDC require movement of parts. Thanks in advance for more information on this topic.

Posted: 1 decade ago 2013年5月24日 GMT-4 08:46
Hello John,

Maybe you could try COMSOL 4.3a. You can find Prescribed Rotational Velocity there.

Good luck.
Xuezhou
Hello John, Maybe you could try COMSOL 4.3a. You can find Prescribed Rotational Velocity there. Good luck. Xuezhou

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.