Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How can I model Reactive Transport?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all,

I've modelled the transport of several solutes in porous media and now I need to model the reactions that can occur among them.
I don't know how to make it nor what physics module I need to use.

I hope somebody can help me.

Thanks

3 Replies Last Post 2012年9月25日 GMT-4 06:57

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年3月15日 GMT-4 04:38
Reactive-transport models contribute significantly to the field of modern geosciences. A general mathematical approach to
solving models of complex bio geochemical systems is introduced. It is argued that even though mathematical models for reactive-transport simulations can be developed at various levels of approximation, the approach for their construction and application to the various compartments of the hydrosphere is fundamentally the same.

--
See Also: www.tvmi.com
Reactive-transport models contribute significantly to the field of modern geosciences. A general mathematical approach to solving models of complex bio geochemical systems is introduced. It is argued that even though mathematical models for reactive-transport simulations can be developed at various levels of approximation, the approach for their construction and application to the various compartments of the hydrosphere is fundamentally the same. -- See Also: http://www.tvmi.com

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年3月15日 GMT-4 06:37
Sorry I don't have clear the approach of your answer.

I need to model reactive transport of several species inside of an aquifer. I've modeled conservative transport of such species using Darcy Law, and Solute Transport. Now I'm triying to model the chemical reactions using Reaction Engineering but I don't know how to make it (it's the first time I try to make something like this).

I hope somebody can help me and show me the steps I must follow.

Thanks
Sorry I don't have clear the approach of your answer. I need to model reactive transport of several species inside of an aquifer. I've modeled conservative transport of such species using Darcy Law, and Solute Transport. Now I'm triying to model the chemical reactions using Reaction Engineering but I don't know how to make it (it's the first time I try to make something like this). I hope somebody can help me and show me the steps I must follow. Thanks

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年9月25日 GMT-4 06:57
Hi,

Your task is related to geochemical reactive transport(consideration of activity coefficients in link with species concentrations) and that's why you also need activity coefficient models; which are not available in COMSOL at present(according to my know-how of COMSOL). Your problem might also involve geochemical speciation and for that your need separate algorithms(Newton-Raphson).

Reaction Engineering interface can be used for reactions but it does not have any supplement for calculation of activity coefficients. Also Reaction Engineering interface is very sensitive to initial and boundary conditions(specially for equilibrium reactions) and poses lot of difficulties for simulating the reactive transport. What I know is at present COMSOL can only be used for flow and transport and not for geochemical reactive flow and transport.

According to my observation you either need to develop your own separate geochemical reactions set-up in MATLAB and connect with COMSOL as external MATLAB function. All this is very demanding job( I am doing this task). The easiest way is to use some other software like, PHREEQC, TOUGHREACT or any other geochemical reactive transport software.

Hi, Your task is related to geochemical reactive transport(consideration of activity coefficients in link with species concentrations) and that's why you also need activity coefficient models; which are not available in COMSOL at present(according to my know-how of COMSOL). Your problem might also involve geochemical speciation and for that your need separate algorithms(Newton-Raphson). Reaction Engineering interface can be used for reactions but it does not have any supplement for calculation of activity coefficients. Also Reaction Engineering interface is very sensitive to initial and boundary conditions(specially for equilibrium reactions) and poses lot of difficulties for simulating the reactive transport. What I know is at present COMSOL can only be used for flow and transport and not for geochemical reactive flow and transport. According to my observation you either need to develop your own separate geochemical reactions set-up in MATLAB and connect with COMSOL as external MATLAB function. All this is very demanding job( I am doing this task). The easiest way is to use some other software like, PHREEQC, TOUGHREACT or any other geochemical reactive transport software.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.