Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Where to start

Craig Donaldson Atoms, Beams and Plasmas (ABP) Group

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am new to comsol and the amount of solvers has me stuck on where to start in a problem.

I want to look at a coaxial line. I will pass a voltage pulse on the inner tube. That tube will split into a bunch of coil windings. The voltage pulse will create a magnetic field and the pulse at the end of the tube will look much different to the input pulse. I want to study those effects.

What solver would be best? I am new to electrical modeling so the solvers are unusual to me

thank you in advance

1 Reply Last Post 2020年10月7日 GMT-4 10:42
Robert Koslover Certified Consultant

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 4 years ago 2020年10月7日 GMT-4 10:42
Updated: 4 years ago 2020年10月7日 GMT-4 10:45

You can choose the default solver for any particular problem, if you like. Just don't assume it will be optimal (and it often will not be). Look at, and work through, step by step, the relevant examples in the Application Library, including tutorial examples. Build, and run/debug small simple models before you attempt more complicated models. Investigate the impact of meshing options too. It's a bit like medical school; you have to dissect a frog or two, before you are ready to perform a human kidney transplant. (I exaggerate, perhaps, but the analogy still holds.) In regard to solvers, I use PARDISO often for RF problems, unless the problem is too computationally large. But there is much more to solving than choosing a solver; there are all sorts of parameters to choose, and modeling choices to make, that can make or break your solution.

-------------------
Scientific Applications & Research Associates (SARA) Inc.
www.comsol.com/partners-consultants/certified-consultants/sara
You can choose the default solver for any particular problem, if you like. Just don't assume it will be optimal (and it often will not be). Look at, and work through, step by step, the relevant examples in the Application Library, including tutorial examples. Build, and run/debug small simple models before you attempt more complicated models. Investigate the impact of meshing options too. It's a bit like medical school; you have to dissect a frog or two, before you are ready to perform a human kidney transplant. (I exaggerate, perhaps, but the analogy still holds.) In regard to solvers, I use PARDISO often for RF problems, unless the problem is too computationally large. But there is much more to solving than choosing a solver; there are all sorts of parameters to choose, and modeling choices to make, that can make or break your solution.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.