Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How to correctly calculate the eigenvalues of the stiffness matrix in COMSOL

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

Recently, i had a puzzle about the mechanism of COMSOL to calculate the eigenvalues. So, i've made a test with 5 nodes linear mesh in acoutic module.

Firstly, i exported the stiffness matrix and mass matrix in matlab, with the code 'STR=mphmatrix(model,'sol1','out',{'K','E'}); K=STR.K; E=STR.E'. Then i caculated its eigenvalues with code 'eigs(K,E,2)', yet the caculated eigenvalues are so different from COMSOL's.

So, i puzzled about my procedure. Are the eigenvalues derived from (K-lambda^2 E)U=0 in COMSOL? How can i get the correct eigenvalues in matlab?

Good luck.

0 Replies Last Post 2020年10月12日 GMT-4 23:15
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Jiachen Luo

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.