Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Refinement of fillet for 2D geometry

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi

Currently, I am doing a Final-Year project for my finals on lightning protection for aircraft body.

I am trying to refine the strip by rounding the edges of the geometry to reduce field breakdown discharge. I have used the 'fillet' node to round the edges but it is still having sharp edges at the end. I was told that I am able to add points to the fillet to make it rounder but unsure how to do it.

Advice and help would be deeply appreciated. Screenshot of the strip is posted too.

Thanks in advance!

6 Replies Last Post 2021年2月25日 GMT-5 14:17
Robert Koslover Certified Consultant

Posted: 3 years ago 2021年2月24日 GMT-5 17:32

You didn't mention the mesh. Could your issues actually be due to using too coarse a mesh? Field enhancements are difficult to compute correctly, often exhibiting mesh-dependent behavior. I encourage you to employ a finer mesh in the vicinity of your highest fields to see if that makes a difference.

-------------------
Scientific Applications & Research Associates (SARA) Inc.
www.comsol.com/partners-consultants/certified-consultants/sara
You didn't mention the mesh. Could your issues actually be due to using too coarse a mesh? Field enhancements are difficult to compute correctly, often exhibiting mesh-dependent behavior. I encourage you to employ a finer mesh in the vicinity of your highest fields to see if that makes a difference.

Posted: 3 years ago 2021年2月25日 GMT-5 08:25
Updated: 3 years ago 2021年2月25日 GMT-5 08:25

Hi

My mesh is predefined as 'fine'.

My question is making the curved strip at the top more rounded at its ends (If possible) hoping to reduce the field breakdown when computing the study. I am looking for a way but to no avail.

Thanks!

Hi My mesh is predefined as 'fine'. My question is making the curved strip at the top more rounded at its ends (If possible) hoping to reduce the field breakdown when computing the study. I am looking for a way but to no avail. Thanks!

Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Posted: 3 years ago 2021年2月25日 GMT-5 09:26

Ian,

A little sketch of the shape you want may be useful.

Cheers Edgar

-------------------
Edgar J. Kaiser
emPhys Physical Technology
www.emphys.com
Ian, A little sketch of the shape you want may be useful. Cheers Edgar

Posted: 3 years ago 2021年2月25日 GMT-5 10:15

Hi Edgar

I want something of this shape (rounded end) highlighted in red ink.

I tried filleting it at the same point again but COMSOL does not allow it. What would be your advice/recommendation for this approach?

Thanks!

Hi Edgar I want something of this shape (rounded end) highlighted in red ink. I tried filleting it at the same point again but COMSOL does not allow it. What would be your advice/recommendation for this approach? Thanks!

Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Posted: 3 years ago 2021年2月25日 GMT-5 11:20

I guess you started with a 90° corner and applied the fillet to the corner point. Why not reduce the fillet radius to the distance between the outer curve and the middle one.

-------------------
Edgar J. Kaiser
emPhys Physical Technology
www.emphys.com
I guess you started with a 90° corner and applied the fillet to the corner point. Why not reduce the fillet radius to the distance between the outer curve and the middle one.

Posted: 3 years ago 2021年2月25日 GMT-5 14:17

Hi Edgar

Yes you are absolutely right. Instead of 90°, I set the angle of 60°.

I tried the advice you gave and it is almost what I am expecting. It still have sharp edges at the end. I was hoping to make the corners and end be fully rounded. Nonetheless, I thank you for your time and advice. Really appreciate it!

Hi Edgar Yes you are absolutely right. Instead of 90°, I set the angle of 60°. I tried the advice you gave and it is almost what I am expecting. It still have sharp edges at the end. I was hoping to make the corners and end be fully rounded. Nonetheless, I thank you for your time and advice. Really appreciate it!

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.