Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Creating a parametric geometrical layout

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear Everyone,

I am trying to simulate a spherical membrane, which will be deformed by pressure loads in specified areas. I am having some trouble with the generation of the geometry. The pattern in which loads will be applied will be as shown in the Figure:

Figure [1]

Of course the creation of such geometry is straight forward (the gaps, tracks etc can be ignored, I am just concerned with the areas E1,E2,E3...). However, I would like the generation of the layout to be highly automatic, ideally such that the amount of rings, and the amount of electrodes in each ring can be specified, and are then automatically generated and assigned a parameter for their pressure load. I am already using the MATLAB interface for some things, so perhaps this is also the way forward.

Right now I am manually creating the layout on a work plane and then extruding it, then making a "Partition Objects" operation to get selectable domains on the curved membrane. I think the generation of this layout is not so difficult using the MATLAB interface, but then when the layout is generated I really have no clue how I will select the correct areas and assign them a load? Since COMSOL just seems to name selectable boundaries 1,2,3.....n.

Any ideas you have as to how this may be done in a fully or semi automatic manner, I would be most grateful for.

Kind regards Carl Johan

1. Wang, K.; Godfroid, T.; Robert, D.; Preumont, A. Adaptive Shell Spherical Reflector Actuated with PVDF-TrFE Thin Film Strain Actuators. Actuators 2021, 10, 7. https://doi.org/10.3390/act10010007

4 Replies Last Post 2021年3月12日 GMT-5 08:12
Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Posted: 3 years ago 2021年3月11日 GMT-5 07:06

Carl Johan,

one option can be to generate suitable selections together with the geometry. E.g. box or cylinder selections that contain the domains or boundaries you want to apply a load to.

Cheers Edgar

-------------------
Edgar J. Kaiser
emPhys Physical Technology
www.emphys.com
Carl Johan, one option can be to generate suitable selections together with the geometry. E.g. box or cylinder selections that contain the domains or boundaries you want to apply a load to. Cheers Edgar

Posted: 3 years ago 2021年3月11日 GMT-5 10:13

Dear Edgar

Thanks for your quick response. Can you expand a little on this, how would one generate such a selection?

kind regards Carl Johan

Dear Edgar Thanks for your quick response. Can you expand a little on this, how would one generate such a selection? kind regards Carl Johan

Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Posted: 3 years ago 2021年3月11日 GMT-5 11:50

Carl Johan,

I suggest you look at the various selection types that are available. You would create them using your geometry parameters with some variations according to the specific selection you need. You can then use the selections in the physics node to apply the boundary conditions. I personally would make a model method to create them and also the geometry, but I guess the Matlab syntax may be similar. I am just not using the Matlab link here anymore.

Cheers Edgar

-------------------
Edgar J. Kaiser
emPhys Physical Technology
www.emphys.com
Carl Johan, I suggest you look at the various selection types that are available. You would create them using your geometry parameters with some variations according to the specific selection you need. You can then use the selections in the physics node to apply the boundary conditions. I personally would make a model method to create them and also the geometry, but I guess the Matlab syntax may be similar. I am just not using the Matlab link here anymore. Cheers Edgar

Posted: 3 years ago 2021年3月12日 GMT-5 08:12

Dear Edgar,

Thank you for your helpful input, I have started implementing it.

Kind regards Carl Johan

Dear Edgar, Thank you for your helpful input, I have started implementing it. Kind regards Carl Johan

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.