Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Diverter Strip for Aircraft Radome

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi

I am trying to create diverter strips for aircraft radome on a 3D geometry model. However, I am not able to create the strip to be attached on the curve surface.

I tried to create the strip with 'block' geometry but could not get it right in creating curve sides. Also, I tried using other primitives such as the Bezier Polygon and was not successful.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks!

7 Replies Last Post 2021年3月29日 GMT-4 09:03
Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 3 years ago 2021年3月17日 GMT-4 14:24

What do you want it to look like?

-------------------
Jeff Hiller
What do you want it to look like?

Posted: 3 years ago 2021年3月17日 GMT-4 15:00
Updated: 3 years ago 2021年3月17日 GMT-4 15:02

Hi Jeff

The image attached would be the final geometry I hope to have. I would like to create 4 strips to attach on each quadrant for simulations purpose. Dimension are 1m length, thickness 0.1m

Thanks!

Hi Jeff The image attached would be the final geometry I hope to have. I would like to create 4 strips to attach on each quadrant for simulations purpose. Dimension are 1m length, thickness 0.1m Thanks!

Posted: 3 years ago 2021年3月17日 GMT-4 15:35
Updated: 3 years ago 2021年3月17日 GMT-4 16:28

Hi Ian,

Let's start with the case where you don't need the traces to have a finite thickness.

In that case, you can intersect the radome with a block chosen so that its intersection with the radome creates the strip you need, then remove the block.

If you do need the traces to have a finite thickness, presumably perpendicular to the radome, you do the same as above and then use a thickening operation. This last step requires the Design Module.

Best,

Jeff

PS: See my post in this old thread for the first case and the attached file for the second case.

-------------------
Jeff Hiller
Hi Ian, Let's start with the case where you don't need the traces to have a finite thickness. In that case, you can intersect the radome with a block chosen so that its intersection with the radome creates the strip you need, then remove the block. If you do need the traces to have a finite thickness, presumably perpendicular to the radome, you do the same as above and then use a thickening operation. This last step requires the [Design Module](https://www.comsol.com/design-module). Best, Jeff PS: See my post in [this old thread](https://www.comsol.com/forum/thread/15263/how-to-draw-a-circle-on-a-surface-of-a-block-in-3d-geometry-view-comsol-4-1?last=2011-03-11T15:25:38Z) for the first case and the attached file for the second case.

Posted: 3 years ago 2021年3月18日 GMT-4 16:13

Hi Jeff

Thanks for the advice! It was very helpful! Unfortunately, I could not open the modified mph file so I looked at the old version instead.

One last question, do you have any recommendation/advice for simulating electrostatics (potential, field) for 3D geometry? I tried creating electrodes and defined it as floating potential, ground at the bottom (screenshot attached) but nothing is happening. Do I need additional boundaries to simulate?

Thanks!

Hi Jeff Thanks for the advice! It was very helpful! Unfortunately, I could not open the modified mph file so I looked at the old version instead. One last question, do you have any recommendation/advice for simulating electrostatics (potential, field) for 3D geometry? I tried creating electrodes and defined it as floating potential, ground at the bottom (screenshot attached) but nothing is happening. Do I need additional boundaries to simulate? Thanks!

Posted: 3 years ago 2021年3月18日 GMT-4 16:42
Updated: 3 years ago 2021年3月18日 GMT-4 17:39

Ian,

If some boundaries are grounded, some boundaries are set to floating potential, and the remaning boundaries are zero charge, then the solution to the problem is voltage equals zero everywhere (I figure this is what you mean by "nothing is happening"), so not a very interesting set up. Maybe you meant to impose a (non-zero) potential at the boundaries that you made floating potential?

It's quite possible I am not understanding you correctly. If your difficulties persist, I'd encourage you to work through one or two tutorials on electrostatics in the Application Gallery.

Best, Jeff

-------------------
Jeff Hiller
Ian, If some boundaries are grounded, some boundaries are set to floating potential, and the remaning boundaries are zero charge, then the solution to the problem is voltage equals zero everywhere (I figure this is what you mean by "nothing is happening"), so not a very interesting set up. Maybe you meant to impose a (non-zero) potential at the boundaries that you made floating potential? It's quite possible I am not understanding you correctly. If your difficulties persist, I'd encourage you to work through one or two tutorials on electrostatics in the Application Gallery. Best, Jeff

Posted: 3 years ago 2021年3月27日 GMT-4 12:21
Updated: 3 years ago 2021年3月28日 GMT-4 18:42

Hi Ian,

Let's start with the case where you don't need the traces to have a finite thickness.

In that case, you can intersect the radome with a block chosen so that its intersection with the radome creates the strip you need, then remove the block.

If you do need the traces to have a finite thickness, presumably perpendicular to the radome, you do the same as above and then use a thickening operation. This last step requires the Design Module.

Best,

Jeff

PS: See my post in this old thread for the first case and the attached file for the second case.

Hi Jeff,

I have thicken the strip and want it lying on the surface of the sphere but am not successful. Is there a way to heighten the strips without compromising the geometry design?

Could you show me an example with version 5.4 ? As I could not open your attached mph file with an outdated version.

Attached is my mph file of my model. Maybe you could use my file as an example. V1 is an updated model for better visualisation with thicken strips. However, I could not make the strips lie on the surface of the outer sphere for this model.

Thanks!

Ian

>Hi Ian, > >Let's start with the case where you don't need the traces to have a finite thickness. > >In that case, you can intersect the radome with a block chosen so that its intersection with the radome creates the strip you need, then remove the block. > >If you do need the traces to have a finite thickness, presumably perpendicular to the radome, you do the same as above and then use a thickening operation. This last step requires the [Design Module](https://www.comsol.com/design-module). > >Best, > >Jeff > >PS: See my post in [this old thread](https://www.comsol.com/forum/thread/15263/how-to-draw-a-circle-on-a-surface-of-a-block-in-3d-geometry-view-comsol-4-1?last=2011-03-11T15:25:38Z) for the first case and the attached file for the second case. Hi Jeff, I have thicken the strip and want it lying on the surface of the sphere but am not successful. Is there a way to heighten the strips without compromising the geometry design? Could you show me an example with version 5.4 ? As I could not open your attached mph file with an outdated version. Attached is my mph file of my model. Maybe you could use my file as an example. V1 is an updated model for better visualisation with thicken strips. However, I could not make the strips lie on the surface of the outer sphere for this model. Thanks! Ian

Posted: 3 years ago 2021年3月29日 GMT-4 09:03
Updated: 3 years ago 2021年3月29日 GMT-4 11:26

Hello Ian,

It sounds like the license you are using does not include the Design Module. The Design Module is an optional add-on product. You can check whether your license includes that product by going to File > Licensed and Used Products.

In any case, I do not have version 5.4 any longer. I would encourage you to update your installation to the current version, for which I'll mention in passing that you'll get better support than for an older version, whether that's under a support contract from COMSOL's official support service or from other users in the Discussion Forum.

Best,

Jeff

-------------------
Jeff Hiller
Hello Ian, It sounds like the license you are using does not include the Design Module. The Design Module is an optional add-on product. You can check whether your license includes that product by going to File > Licensed and Used Products. In any case, I do not have version 5.4 any longer. I would encourage you to update your installation to the current version, for which I'll mention in passing that you'll get better support than for an older version, whether that's under a support contract from COMSOL's official support service or from other users in the Discussion Forum. Best, Jeff

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.