Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Lamb Wave Propagation

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Requesting some guidance on building a model of an isotropic 2D plate undergoing ultrasonic lamb wave propagation. So far I have approached the problem by applying a timedependent, 5-cycle point load, but the proper longitudinal and shear waves (S0 and A0) are not generated. Does anyone have experience with this? I have reviewed the comsol literature but have not been successful with this yet.

Another approach would be manually generating waves with the proper group and phase speeds, but I am worried that wave-dispersion would not be modeled properly (also, I am unsure of how to impose the waves).

Please let me know if anyone has input for me-- whether it be anecdotal, perscriptive, or simply a good resource. Thanks.

1 Reply Last Post 2021年5月1日 GMT-4 19:57
Dave Greve Certified Consultant

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 3 years ago 2021年5月1日 GMT-4 19:57
Updated: 3 years ago 2021年5月1日 GMT-4 19:58

I believe there are a fair number of publications on this. For example an old one

https://users.ece.cmu.edu/~dwg/research/Waves25rev.pdf

Publications won't get you example .mph file though. And the settings required will change with different versions of Comsol.

Some advice about settings for transient analysis (5.6)

BDF solver, max order 2, min order 1, strict time stepping

If that doesn't work then (1) explain exactly how it doesn't work and (2) post your model.

I believe there are a fair number of publications on this. For example an old one https://users.ece.cmu.edu/~dwg/research/Waves25rev.pdf Publications won't get you example .mph file though. And the settings required will change with different versions of Comsol. Some advice about settings for transient analysis (5.6) BDF solver, max order 2, min order 1, strict time stepping If that doesn't work then (1) explain exactly how it doesn't work and (2) post your model.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.