Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Coupling between elastic structures inside a fluid

Gabriel Goncalves Machado

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all,

First a disclaimer, I am an electrical engineer, but I am adventuring myself into this as it is need for an ongoing project. I am trying to understand how to work this problem in Comsol 5.0. I will try to explain where I want to get by steps:

1. I have a homegenous nanosphere made of an elastic material and I need to find its natural frequencies. This has been done and verified. I am interested in one of the modes, which I will call frequency . This was obtained using the solid mechanics module using the eigenfrequency sutdy.
  2. I put this sphere inside a box containing a fluid (air, in this case). This box already contains another sphere with the exact dimensions and elastic properties of the first one,
  3. What I want to know is: if the first starts to vibrate with frequency , the movement in the fluid should affect the second one and they will couple. How can I actually verify that in Comsol? At first, I just want a simple eigenfrequency study as I have with only one sphere, see if immersing both spheres in a fluid would change , if other modes appear, and so on.

I have tried the fluid solid interaction module, as well as putting together the Solid Mechanics and Acoustic Pressure modules together, trying different studies (eigenfrequency, stationary, frequency domain, etc) without success.

Here is an image of the problem

https://imgur.com/Bby347M

The only thing that I have so far is that one vibrates, the other one stays fixed and the fluid moves, but without occuping the void space when the sphere is 'squeezed'.

https://imgur.com/MBH7Opp

Any light on this would be highly appreciated.

Kind regards, Gabriel

8 Replies Last Post 2021年6月21日 GMT-4 08:19
Dave Greve Certified Consultant

Posted: 3 years ago 2021年6月16日 GMT-4 19:03

It's not clear what you are plotting in the fluid. If correctly set up you should see waves or at least displacements.

Probably the coupling is not set up properly. Post your (reduced) model.

It's not clear what you are plotting in the fluid. If correctly set up you should see waves or at least displacements. Probably the coupling is not set up properly. Post your (reduced) model.

Posted: 3 years ago 2021年6月17日 GMT-4 12:27

Hi Dave,

What I want to see is if the movement caused by the vibration of one sphere will cause the other one to vibrate/couple. I appologize if the wording is not correct as this is not my field. I am trying to make an analogous of the electromagnetic world to this one.

File is attached

Thank you,

Gabriel

Hi Dave, What I want to see is if the movement caused by the vibration of one sphere will cause the other one to vibrate/couple. I appologize if the wording is not correct as this is not my field. I am trying to make an analogous of the electromagnetic world to this one. File is attached Thank you, Gabriel

Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Posted: 3 years ago 2021年6月17日 GMT-4 16:02

You didn't add the solid-structure interaction in the multiphysics node.

Cheers Edgar

-------------------
Edgar J. Kaiser
emPhys Physical Technology
www.emphys.com
You didn't add the solid-structure interaction in the multiphysics node. Cheers Edgar

Posted: 3 years ago 2021年6月18日 GMT-4 05:21

Hi Edgar,

When I did it, the Eigenfrequencies return as NaN. Please see attached.

Hi Edgar, When I did it, the Eigenfrequencies return as NaN. Please see attached.

Posted: 3 years ago 2021年6月18日 GMT-4 05:58

Well, I tried it and it solved. Those pictures do not help.

-------------------
Edgar J. Kaiser
www.emphys.com
Well, I tried it and it solved. Those pictures do not help.

Posted: 3 years ago 2021年6月19日 GMT-4 06:10

Hi Edgar,

Could you please point me in the right direction, where should I read about this? I am keen to learn, but coming from an area that is completely different from this, I am struggling. I am used to EM simulations in Comsol, CST, HFSS, ADS, etc, not fluid dynamics. Last time I saw anything like that was 8 years ago, in theory, during my undergrad...

Hi Edgar, Could you please point me in the right direction, where should I read about this? I am keen to learn, but coming from an area that is completely different from this, I am struggling. I am used to EM simulations in Comsol, CST, HFSS, ADS, etc, not fluid dynamics. Last time I saw anything like that was 8 years ago, in theory, during my undergrad...

Posted: 3 years ago 2021年6月19日 GMT-4 08:29

Gabriel,

I recommend to check the application library, there a few examples with solid-acoustic coupling. The Comsol blog may provide hints as well.

Cheers Edgar

-------------------
Edgar J. Kaiser
www.emphys.com
Gabriel, I recommend to check the application library, there a few examples with solid-acoustic coupling. The Comsol blog may provide hints as well. Cheers Edgar

Posted: 3 years ago 2021年6月21日 GMT-4 08:19

Hi Edgar,

Thank you. After looking at a lot of posts, I think I met a dead end with our current license. I will check whatelse I can do at my end. I appreciate your time to assist me with this query.

Cheers,

Gabriel

Hi Edgar, Thank you. After looking at a lot of posts, I think I met a dead end with our current license. I will check whatelse I can do at my end. I appreciate your time to assist me with this query. Cheers, Gabriel

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.