Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Lost Simulation after Windows Update

Sören Mechanical Simulations

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi All,

I am using Comsol 5.6 on Windows 10.

If I simulate a bigger model over night, it can happen, that Windows is doing an update and restart my computer after the update was installed. However, the Windows restart will also shut down Comsol and I will have no saved simulation left.

I could of course stop all automatic updates from Windows, but this would lead to an very unhappy IT guy. It would be also possible to check for updates everytime before I do a bigger simulation... but thats unrealistic. :) Is there a Comsol setting to prevent a Windows restart? How are you handling this kind of Windows behaviour?

By the way, I don't know if the simualtion has finished or not when Windows restart the computer.

Greetings Sören

2 Replies Last Post 2021年7月7日 GMT-4 10:36
Lars Gregersen COMSOL Employee

Posted: 3 years ago 2021年7月7日 GMT-4 07:25

Hi

I would suggest that you talk to your IT department and have them stop running updates if the computer is busy. This is really to only way to reliably make sure that the computer isn't restarted.

-------------------
Lars Gregersen
Comsol Denmark
Hi I would suggest that you talk to your IT department and have them stop running updates if the computer is busy. This is really to only way to reliably make sure that the computer isn't restarted.

Robert Koslover Certified Consultant

Posted: 3 years ago 2021年7月7日 GMT-4 10:36
Updated: 3 years ago 2021年7月7日 GMT-4 10:40

FYI, You also may be able to reset the "active hours" in your settings. Windows won't normally force the reboot during "active hours." Another thing you can do, at least if your Comsol model is not using a networked drive, is to physically disconnect your computer from the network (first making sure that it doesn't already have an update downloaded and waiting to do a surprise installation when you aren't paying attention), and only reconnect to the network after your model has finished executing and you have finished saving the .mph file to the hard drive. (Of course, that may cause trouble if you have a networked license.)

-------------------
Scientific Applications & Research Associates (SARA) Inc.
www.comsol.com/partners-consultants/certified-consultants/sara
FYI, You also may be able to reset the "active hours" in your settings. Windows won't normally force the reboot during "active hours." Another thing you can do, at least if your Comsol model is not using a networked drive, is to physically disconnect your computer from the network (first making sure that it doesn't already have an update downloaded and waiting to do a surprise installation when you aren't paying attention), and only reconnect to the network after your model has finished executing and you have finished saving the .mph file to the hard drive. (Of course, that may cause trouble if you have a networked license.)

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.