Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Circular polarization source in RF module.

Maxim Electromobility

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Is there any way to specify a source of circular polarized wave in 3D Harmonic propagation analysis in RF module?

Thank you!

2 Replies Last Post 2015年1月19日 GMT-5 10:09
Robert Koslover Certified Consultant

Posted: 1 decade ago 2010年2月2日 GMT-5 16:44
Yes, I believe there are a number of ways.

The first that comes to mind is to specify two linearly-polarized orthogonal E fields tangential to an aperture, but the second with a 90 degreee phase shift relative to the first [simply multiply by j, or exp(j*pi/2) ]. If you are specifying the fields on an aperture on or within the model, just enter the fields using the boundary conditions there.

Similarly, if using the scattered field formulation, use the Application Scalar Variables dialog box (under the Physics menu item, Scalar variables). As just one example, you could set E0ix_rfw = exp(-j*k0_rfw*z) (which is already its default) and then also E0iy_rfw = j*exp(-j*k0_rfw*z) . This would necessarily yield a circularly-polarized wave, which in this example would be traveling along the z direction.

Yes, I believe there are a number of ways. The first that comes to mind is to specify two linearly-polarized orthogonal E fields tangential to an aperture, but the second with a 90 degreee phase shift relative to the first [simply multiply by j, or exp(j*pi/2) ]. If you are specifying the fields on an aperture on or within the model, just enter the fields using the boundary conditions there. Similarly, if using the scattered field formulation, use the Application Scalar Variables dialog box (under the Physics menu item, Scalar variables). As just one example, you could set E0ix_rfw = exp(-j*k0_rfw*z) (which is already its default) and then also E0iy_rfw = j*exp(-j*k0_rfw*z) . This would necessarily yield a circularly-polarized wave, which in this example would be traveling along the z direction.

Posted: 9 years ago 2015年1月19日 GMT-5 10:09
Thanks Robert. your suggestion on circular polarization made my job easy. It is working fine to me.
Thanks Robert. your suggestion on circular polarization made my job easy. It is working fine to me.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.