Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

simulating von mises stress

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am new to comsol. I am trying to simulate the thremal stress over a particular area when irradiated by short laser pulses. The problem is i am not able to observe the stress at the desires are meaning the plot is showing me stress occuring at a different area. I have attached the image below. The circle is the laser spot and the pillar like structurs are made up of silicon , so i want to observe the stress on the upper line close to the circle but I ma getting the stress on the lower line below the circle.!Why is the stress on the lower side more prominent and noit on the upper side? any help would be appreciated.

3 Replies Last Post 2021年8月17日 GMT-4 15:50
Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 3 years ago 2021年8月17日 GMT-4 15:21

If two adjoining materials have similar temperatures but different coefficients of thermal expansion, you can expect elevated stress levels at the interface to ensure continuity of the tangential components of the strain tensor.

Best,

Jeff

-------------------
Jeff Hiller
If two adjoining materials have similar temperatures but different coefficients of thermal expansion, you can expect elevated stress levels at the interface to ensure continuity of the tangential components of the strain tensor. Best, Jeff

Posted: 3 years ago 2021年8月17日 GMT-4 15:34

Hi Jeff ,

thankyou for your reply. Every thing is made up of the same material. Its silicon. Am i interpreting it wrongly or missing something ?!

Hi Jeff , thankyou for your reply. Every thing is made up of the same material. Its silicon. Am i interpreting it wrongly or missing something ?!

Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 3 years ago 2021年8月17日 GMT-4 15:50
Updated: 3 years ago 2021年8月17日 GMT-4 15:51

It sounds like it's something else then. Can you upload your .mph file so Forum users can take a look at your set-up?

Jeff

-------------------
Jeff Hiller
It sounds like it's something else then. Can you upload your .mph file so Forum users can take a look at your set-up? Jeff

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.