Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Determining Thermal Conductivity

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi, i am new to the comsol and the group. I am trying to find thermal conductivity of rock sample. I have thermal camera which i can use to determine the temperature of surface. I was thinking heating the rock for few minutes and record the temperature and perform some transient heat transfer simulation to find the thermal conductivity. Somebody told me i can input the range of thermal conductivity in the simulation in COMSOL. Has anyone give me insight. Thank you all in advance

1 Reply Last Post 2021年8月31日 GMT-4 11:54
Dave Greve Certified Consultant

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 3 years ago 2021年8月31日 GMT-4 11:54

This is mostly an experimental question, and is therefore beyond the scope of this forum.

There are well-established experimental methods for the measurement of thermal conductivity. Usually finite element simulation is not required to interpret the results.

I suggest doing a literature search in your field looking for measurements of this type. These papers will mention the experimental technique used and then you can look up the (probably rather old) papers explaining the techniques.

This is mostly an experimental question, and is therefore beyond the scope of this forum. There are well-established experimental methods for the measurement of thermal conductivity. Usually finite element simulation is not required to interpret the results. I suggest doing a literature search in your field looking for measurements of this type. These papers will mention the experimental technique used and then you can look up the (probably rather old) papers explaining the techniques.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.