Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Gradient-dependent flux

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi there,

I am trying to simulate a gradient-dependent flux in the "Transport of diluted species" module. I added the Flux component from the drop-down menu, and one of the species I want to make it voltage-gradient dependent. It's the Nernst-Planck flux model.

Ji=-D(grad(c)+c * z_1*q*/(kB*T)*grad(V))
D-diffusion constant, c- ion species concentration, z_1 - valency, q-proton charge, kB-Botzmann constant, T-temperature, V-voltage.

how do I have to enter grad(V) and grad(c) in order to have the right thing implemented?
{d(c,x),d(c,y)} and {d(V,x),d(V,y)} seem to be accepted from a syntactic point of view, but then the solver returns an error.
[d(c,x),d(c,y)] and [d(V,x),d(V,y)] yield in having a orange line (as if the units where mismatched), and also the solver stops with an error.
gradient(V) is not working. also ctrl+alt+, (which is the shortcut for the graphic del-symbol) fails.

could you please write a valid expression for this formula?

Thanks,
Dan.

P.S. comsol 4.2a

2 Replies Last Post 2012年7月5日 GMT-4 06:09
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年7月5日 GMT-4 01:15
Hi

how do you define your "V", from which physics ?

If it comes from ES, and V is a dependent variable you have the grad components as Vx Vy Vz, they are defined by default by COMSOL for you. Check your "equations" with Preferences turn on Equation viiew" and search therein
but d(V,x) should work as well, as V if a dependent variale is a predefined field V(x,y,z,t)

But there is no vector writing possible, you must write out your equtions in scalar COMPONENT form within your coordinate system choosen

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi how do you define your "V", from which physics ? If it comes from ES, and V is a dependent variable you have the grad components as Vx Vy Vz, they are defined by default by COMSOL for you. Check your "equations" with Preferences turn on Equation viiew" and search therein but d(V,x) should work as well, as V if a dependent variale is a predefined field V(x,y,z,t) But there is no vector writing possible, you must write out your equtions in scalar COMPONENT form within your coordinate system choosen -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年7月5日 GMT-4 06:09
Thanks for the Reply!

Yes V is from the ES module. I know that Vx and Vy are already available. How do I write a component expression? Base vectors I can also not enter!
Do I have to add to flux-objects, one for the x and one for the y direction, or is there a more compact way of writing this?

Thanks,
Dan.
Thanks for the Reply! Yes V is from the ES module. I know that Vx and Vy are already available. How do I write a component expression? Base vectors I can also not enter! Do I have to add to flux-objects, one for the x and one for the y direction, or is there a more compact way of writing this? Thanks, Dan.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.