Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Maximum Horizontal Principal Stress, Minimum Horizontal Principal Stress, Vertical Stress

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

The below post is related to an archived discussion

Hello!

I am trying to apply given Maximum Horizontal Principal Stress (Shmax), Minimum Horizontal Principal Stress (Shmin), and Vertical Stress (Sv) to a linear elastic material. I do not have access to the Structural Mechanics module, but I do have access to the Subsurface Flow module. I have seen the tool to input initial stresses under "Solid Mechanics," but this is not available without the Structural Mechanics module. Is there any way for me to still input these parameters?

Thank you.

1 Reply Last Post 2022年2月28日 GMT-5 09:49
Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 2 years ago 2022年2月28日 GMT-5 09:49

Hello Megan,

The Specification Chart can be used to determine which module carries the functionalities your modeling requires. If I understand your post correctly, you are in need of the "Initial stress and strain tensors" capability; if so, the attached screenshot shows which modules carry it. The Structural Mechanics Module is one of them, but it is not the only one.

Best regards,

Jeff

-------------------
Jeff Hiller
Hello Megan, The [Specification Chart](https://www.comsol.com/products/specifications/#) can be used to determine which module carries the functionalities your modeling requires. If I understand your post correctly, you are in need of the "Initial stress and strain tensors" capability; if so, the attached screenshot shows which modules carry it. The Structural Mechanics Module is one of them, but it is not the only one. Best regards, Jeff

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.