Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Getting 2-D geometry from 3D object

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,
I am running a mode propagation analysis of a waveguide so need to run a set of 2-D mode solvers along the propagation direction. I am wondering is it possible to get 2-D gemetry of the 3-D waveguide cross-section in comsol automatically? I have gone through almost everything in the helpfile and it seems usually comsol use 2-D to build 3-D geom but not the other way around.

I would greatly appreciate your answers.
regards,
Max

2 Replies Last Post 2012年8月9日 GMT-4 17:41
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年8月9日 GMT-4 09:08
Hi

Unfortunately, no, from my knowledge, and I'm missing badly that functionality too.

What you can do is to define a 2D workplane for a 3D volume and then you get the projection shadow lines, but you need to overwrite/paint your geometry over the shadow lines. Your "pick" magnet points are still given via the projected cut geometry, so COMSOL has 90% of the info to create the intersection, but it does not finalise the 3D to 2D projection functionality, unfortunately, and so far ...

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi Unfortunately, no, from my knowledge, and I'm missing badly that functionality too. What you can do is to define a 2D workplane for a 3D volume and then you get the projection shadow lines, but you need to overwrite/paint your geometry over the shadow lines. Your "pick" magnet points are still given via the projected cut geometry, so COMSOL has 90% of the info to create the intersection, but it does not finalise the 3D to 2D projection functionality, unfortunately, and so far ... -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年8月9日 GMT-4 17:41
Thanks for reply. I will do that in solidworks then.

Regards,
Max
Thanks for reply. I will do that in solidworks then. Regards, Max

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.