Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

displacement discontinuity boundary condition

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Is it possible to impose a displacement discontinuity boundary condition on an 'assembly' boundary between two domains? For example, I have two elastic regions in contact with each other. I want to prescribe a known discontinuity in the displacement field across this boundary. This is a common problem in solid mechanics (dislocations). I see that I can impose a 'Prescribed Displacement' on each side of an assembly boundary and this would allow me to introduce fixed displacements on each side of the boundary, producing a discontinuity in the displacement field. However, this prescribed displacement on each side is in a global coordinate system. What I really need to prescribe is not the absolute, global displacement vector on each side of the boundary, but the difference in displacement vectors across a boundary (or rather, the displacement of one side relative to the other). The absolute, global displacement of each side of the boundary is then part of the solution -- not prescribed.

1 Reply Last Post 2015年3月26日 GMT-4 19:22
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Kaj Johnson

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 9 years ago 2015年3月26日 GMT-4 19:22
Hi Kaj. Have you found an answer to this question? I think what you are suggesting might be a good way to simulate a hydraulic fracture where an internal boundary parts in two (when stress reaches zero/tensile) and each side of the boundary move opposite direction to a distance equal to fracture aperture. Do you think "Contact Pairs" option could be used for this application?

Tony
Hi Kaj. Have you found an answer to this question? I think what you are suggesting might be a good way to simulate a hydraulic fracture where an internal boundary parts in two (when stress reaches zero/tensile) and each side of the boundary move opposite direction to a distance equal to fracture aperture. Do you think "Contact Pairs" option could be used for this application? Tony

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.